Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2009-12-29 20:24:25

Individual added to a life insurance policy other than the insured named in the policy. For example, an insured father can have a dependent son and daughter added to the policy as additional insureds. In many instances, adding an additional insured to an existing policy is less expensive than purchasing a separate policy for that insured.

In property and liability insurance: another person, firm, or other entity enjoying the same protection as the named insured.


Your Answer

Related Questions

Attorneys will often say there is no difference, when it comes to extending coverage for legal liability. However, depending the specific additional form used there might be substanial differences in the portion of the general liabilty policy that is extended to the named insured versus the additional insured. For instance, older additional insured forms (CG 2010 11/85) extended coverage to the additional insured for "Products/Completed Operations". New forms use wording such as "ongoing operations of the named insured" that limit coverage to the additional insured to the "Premise/Operations" portion of the CGL form. In addition, an additional insured generally has no right to: * Request policy endorsements or cancellation * Receive copies of the policy contract, other than the a/i form and a certificate of insurance The purpose of an additional insured is to protect the rights of another party that might become legally liable for the actions of the named insured. For instance, a landlord might become entangled in a lawsuit caused by the actions of his tenant. By naming the landlord as additional insured, the named insured extends coverage, especially defense costs, to the landlord. The tenant's insurance company would have to defend both the named insured and the additional insured. Additional insured's are a common and increasingly important part of liability insurance. It is important you make sure your agent is aware of the specific nature of the relationship you have with the additional insured, to ensure the proper additonal insured form is provided. I generally like to review my clients contracts - including leases - to make sure the policy and a/i form are compliant.

The CG2037 Additional Insured form is a form that provides coverage to the additional insured named on it (which is usually a contractor) for the insured's work (ie:completed operations) completed for that additional insured after the project is done for liability of property damage or bodily injury.

The answer dependent upon a few factors. If the tenant is an additional insured (sometimes called an additional named insured) on the policy, the insurer's right of subrogation (recovery from the at-fault party) usually does not apply. This is because upon the facts stated, the tenant is also an insured under the policy, so the insurer would in effect be subrogating against its own insured. If the tenant is not an additional insured or an additional named insured, the analysis would depend upon the terms of the lease. Some leases allow this kind of recovery, and others hold the tenant harmless.

Renters insurance and the Additional InsuredIt is common to list the property owner as an additional insured, After all you are renting his property and have accepted certain liabilities for damages to the property. The reason a landlord would require this is in the event that a loss occurs and the tenant refuses to file claim, the landlord as an additional insured can call and file the claim for you. AnswerThat is a good question. You are right to be cautious ask your insurance agent.

If you were driving someone else's car with their knowledge and consent, and were named as an additional insured or otherwise covered under the policy, that liability coverage is likely to pay. If you neither had permission nor were an additional insured (by being named on the policy or because of a relationship to the named insured), you probably would not be covered. As a practical matter, if the damages were relatively minor, the insurer may make a business decision to pay the claim. Otherwise, it would issue a "reservation of rights" to the named insured stating that it was not going to cover the claim.

You can be the named insured on a policy for any real property you own. In fact, only the owner can be the "named insured".

An Additional Insured is only used for General Liability coverage. Since Business income is a property coverage, they would not be insured. Also, business income is designed to pay for loss of income to the insured, not lienholders, or contractors they are performing jobs for.

No, It will not. Unless they obtain permissive use by another person who is a named insured on the policy. It will however continue to cover any additional Named insureds for at least 30 days, after which time they will need to restructure the coverage into the new owners name by purchasinga new auto insurance policy.

You are the insured. Your landlord or partner or banker may be the additional insured. They have a financial interest in or liability at stake with whatever it is you are insuring. It does not cost you more to name an additional insured. Why didn't you aks your agent this question? Can the person I was working for withold money owed to me because I did not put him under additionaly insured? Not legally unless it was contractually noted. If you did not have a loss you can just add the additional insured now. In a contractor/subcontractor relationship the contractor may request the subcontractor to name him "additional insured". In the event that a liability issue arises and is caused by the work of the subcontracor, the subcontractor's insurance will not only cover any claims made against the sub, but will also provide claims made against the contractor in regards to the sub's negligence. Many insurance companies DO charge a flat fee or a percentage based fee to name an additional insured.

Upstream contractors should be requesting it as part of the additional insured. Many additional insured endorsements will not be primary and noncontributory unless the contract specifically states that it is required. Some will have you believe that ISO is the standard additional insured form. Most companies use ISO as a blueprint but do not copy it exactly.Ronald Hicks, CIC, CRIS

No, a homeowner's policy lists both a named insured and an insured location.

Yes. The primary listed insured is also the owner of the policy. The primary insured can add or remove additional insureds as they see fit.

The Named InsuredYes. It is a legal issue. A homeowner's policy insures the named insured for damage to their home. This assumes the named insured maintains an insurable interest in the house, meaning that they have not sold it to someone else. The policy cannot be transfered to a new owner.

Yes as long as the named insured is not a spouse, or if the spouse does not drive and does not have a drivers license the spouse can also be excluded.

If you are insured then you should see your name on the certificate itself or on the referenced endorsement page.

They are insured against their loss. However, you can purchase additional moving insurance in case any of your office equipment is damaged.

A homeowners insurance policy will cover the interests of the named insured on the policy. It does not matter if the insured is a student or not.

You have to be either named or you have to fit the definition of a named insured on the policy.

Comprehensive coverage is covers the interests of the named insured. A third party insurance policy will not cover you. It only covers the interests of that named third party insured.

Additional living expenses cover incurred cost of the insured after a covered peril renders their home uninhabitable or unlivable. Specifically, there needs to be direct physical damage to the insured home that caused the home to be uninhabitable in most cases.

Yes, they can add you as an "additional insured" on the policy. It could possible make his insurance rates go up though as it will then be considering your age and driving history.

If an insured has a policy where there is no named beneficiary, or the named beneficiary is deceased, then the benefit will be paid to the insured's estate.

The insured's are those specifically named on the insurance policy, Typically the homeowner(s) and dependent children would be construed as the insured's as well as listed lien or mortgage holders. Anyone not named would not be insured

Commercial General Liability Additional Insured endorsement form.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.