answersLogoWhite

0

  • Medical Insurance
  • Math and Arithmetic

What is coinsurance?

User Avatar

Wiki User

βˆ™ 2009-03-17 20:55:33

Best Answer
Copy

== == Coinsurance An arrangement under which the insured person pays a fixed percentage of the cost of medical care after the deductible has been paid. For example, a health plan might pay 80% of the allowable charge, with the enrollee responsible for the remaining 20%; the 20% amount is then referred to as the coinsurance amount. Coinsurance maximum This is the maximum dollar amount of Covered Expenses for which the Member is responsible in a Calendar Year. After that maximum is reached, this plan will pay 100% of Covered Expenses incurred during the remainder of that Calendar Year.

2009-03-17 20:55:33
This answer is:
πŸ€“
🀯
πŸ€”
User Avatar

Your Answer

Loading...

Related Questions

What is coinsurance-?

Coinsurance refers to a type of insurance whereby the insured pays a share of the payment made against a claim.


Is it legal to write off medicare coinsurance due to financial hardship?

It is solely the provider decision to write off medicare coinsurance due to hardship.


What is the percentage that patient owes for service called?

coinsurance


What is the percentage of each claim that the insured must pay?

Coinsurance


What is the current coinsurance amount for medicare part b?

$110.00


Is there a coinsurance on Medicare A?

no, there is a deductable and after day 60 there is a per day copay


If Primary insurance paid more thatsecondary would allow. Is patient responsible for deductible and coinsurance?

Is the patient responsible for deductible and coinsurance if primary insurance paid more than secondary would have allowed.


What does PCY on health insurance coinsurance mean?

PCY: Per Calender Year


Facultative reinsurance and coinsurance?

Facultative reinsurance is a form of reinsurance in which the terms, conditions, and reinsurance premium is individually negotiated between the insurer and the reinsurer. There is no obligation on the reinsurer to accept the risk or on the insurer to reinsure it if it is not considered necessary. The main differences between facultative reinsurance and coinsurance is that the policyholder has no indication that reinsurance has been arranged. In coinsurance, the coinsurers and the proportion of the risk they are covering are shown on the policy schedule. Also, coinsurance involves the splitting of the premium charged to the policyholder between the coinsurers, whereas the reinsurers charge entirely separate reinsurance premiums. Regards, Tamer Haddadin


What is the coinsurance requirement for the theatrical property floater under an inland marine policy?

x


How coinsurance work?

Under certain health insurance plans, 'coinsurance' is the percentage of a covered medical expense you may be required to pay after you've paid your copayment and/or deductible. Not all health insurance plans require coinsurance. It's a confusing concept, so here's an example: Joe gets sick and goes to the doctor. He may pay a copayment for his office visit, but if the doctor orders special tests or x-rays, Joe may also be required to pay coinsurance for those tests. Say, for example, that Joe is given an x-ray and the total charge for the x-ray is $100. Even if Joe has already fulfilled his deductible for the year, he may still have to pay coinsurance toward that charge. If his health insurance policy requires 20% coinsurance, Joe will pay $20 toward the total cost of the x-ray, while his health insurance company will pay the remaining $80.


Can you collect Medicare coinsurance in advance?

Medicare is an "80/20" plan. Medicare pays 80% of the bill and you are expected to pay 20%, unless you have a Medicare Supplement to pay the 20% for you. The 20% is your coinsurance. The coinsurance should be collected at time of service or billed to you after the service has been provided. If a provider is asking you to pay any money in advance prior to providing you a service, it may be time to seek a "second opinion."


Is coinsurance required after the deductible is met?

Yes, unless your insurance policy says 100% covered.


What does coinsurance on health insurance mean?

Coninsurance is the amount you are required to pay for medical care in a fee-for-service plan after you have met your deductible. The coinsurance rate is usually expressed as a percentage. For example, if the insurance company pays 80 percent of the claim, you pay 20 percent.


What does deductible and coinsurance mean?

On a health insurance policy, a "deductible" is a specified amount which the insured/beneficiary must pay out of their own pocket, before their insurance will pay any covered medical services. After the deductible amount is met, a "coinsurance" is a percentage amount which the insured/beneficiary is responsible for. For example, if an insurance policy is an "80/20 plan", this means that the insurance company pays 80% of medical services, and the patient (insured) is responsible to pay the remaining 20% (coinsurance).


What is Medicare part b deductible for 2011?

The deductible for 2011 is $162.00. Then you have an ongoing coinsurance of 20% of the Medicare approved rate.


Does Medicare have a copay?

No. Patients out of pocket is limited to the annual deductible and 20% coinsurance.


Coinsurance refers to a small fee that must be paid by the patient at the time of an office visit.?

The small fee that is paid at the time of the office visit is called a copay. The copay amount, usually $15.00 to $30.00 depending on your plan, is all that you pay for the cost of the office visit. Coinsurance is a percentage of a larger hospital medical bill that you pay after you meet your deductible. For instance, if you have a "80/20" plan, with a $1000.00 deductible you are responsible for the first $1000.00 of the bill. Then the insurance company pays 80% of the bill and you pay 20% of the bill. The 20% is your coinsurance.


Can medicare provider extend courtesy to select patients and accept medicare payment as payment in full without billing patient for coinsurance?

yes


What does eighty twenty coinsurance mean?

Eighty twenty coinsurance is usually expressed 80/20 by insurance companies. The first number (80) represents the percentage of payment an insurance company will pay for a service and the second number (20) is the percentage the person receiving the service is required to pay. Other popular coinsurance amounts are 70/30, 60/40, 50/50. It is important to note a couple of factors in determining when an insurance company will pay coinsurance. First, an insurance company will only pay 80% on what the insurance considers the "allowed" amount of a fee. Generally insurance companies have fee schedules which designate the maximum amount they will pay on any particular service. This allowed amount could be more or less than the fee that is charged for the service (usually the allowed amount is lower than the fee). Second, an insurance company will only pay 80% for services rendered after the insured has satisified their deductible. Therefore, if your insurance policy has a deductible of $500, the insured must pay out $500 towards their claims then insurance companies will consider paying 80% coinsurance on the remaining balance of unpaid services. Coinsurance does not apply to deductible amounts. Third, the service that is rendered must be a covered service under the insurance policy. If the service is not a covered service most insurance policies will not pay for the service, and usually it does not apply towards the deductible either. Lastly, if the provider of the service does not have a contract with your insurance company, the insured will most likely owe the difference between the allowed amount of the insurance company and the billed amount from the provider. Coinsurance does not apply to the portion of the fee that exceeds the insurance companies allowed amount. Billing the insured for this difference is referred to as balance billing.


What is a basic package of health care?

A basic package includes a percentage of coinsurance for additional costs. There are also copays of various amounts, depending on the type of care.


What is Amount payable by insurance company for insurance?

This is the amount paid by the insurance company to the doctor. It is the negotiated rate less the amount that you paid in the form of a copay, a coinsurance, or a deductible.


What does coinsurance mean in medical insurance's?

It's secondary or tertiary insurance that is held to cover any medical expenses the primary insurance policy does not cover or does not cover completely.


There are three items that medicare beneficiaries are responsible for paying before Medicare will begin to pay for services What are these three items?

1.) Deductibles 2.) Premiums 3.) Coinsurance payments


How are benefits paid when a carrier says this is a standard coordination of benefits policy Does this mean they will cover any coinsurance after their deductible is met?

Standard means they will pay their normal liability or the balance, whichever is less.