Taxes and Tax Preparation

What is the difference between the IRS 1040 and IRS 1040A an 1040EZ?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-02-15 17:30:16
2010-02-15 17:30:16

what is the difference between the IRS 1040 and the IRS 1040EZ forms?


Related Questions

There is also a '1040EZ'.

Form 1040Ez is Income Tax Return for Single and Joint Filers with No Dependents. It's the easiest of the 1040 series. It's only one page. Form 1040A and Form 1040 are both two pages. But Form 1040A is easier than Form 1040.

1040 = Standard long form. (Grownups with houses, investments, deductions and real jobs.) 1040A = The so-called "short form." (Students, hourly floor moppers, and bean boilers.) 1040EZ = For "slow" kids.

For federal income tax returns, you have three related forms: Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A, and Form 1040. Start by checking if you can meet all requirements stated regarding the use of 1040EZ and if you are okay with its limitations. If not, check the requirements and limitations of Form 1040A.

Form 1040 is a an annual tax form for the residents of the United States. It is also referred to as the "long form". Other 1040 forms available are 1040A (the short form) and 1040EZ.

It is the last number on the bottom of the first page of Form 1040 or 1040A. It is line 4 of the 2008 version of Form 1040EZ.

Form 1040A is U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. It's one of the three in the 1040 series. The forms in the 1040 series are the main form for reporting your income information to the Internal Revenue Service. Form 1040EZ, only one page in length, is the simplest to fill out. Form 1040A is two pages but it's less complicated than Form 1040, because it allows a smaller number of attachments (forms and schedules).

is 1040 or 1040A the short form

Yes, when you are sending your 1040a form you will also attach the 1040 form.

where can I get 1040a tax forms

The 1040EZ form makes filing taxes a bit easier. It explains in detail how to fill the form in. It has detailed instructions on the process. The IRS website gives helpful information(

Any one of the IRS 1040 income tax returns that you qualify to use 1040, 1040A or the 1040EZ. The forms and instruction are available at the IRS gov web site using the search box for each one.

W-2 is Wage and Tax Statement. Your employer is required to give you at least three copies of your W-2 form. Copy B is labelled 'To Be Filed With Employee's FEDERAL Tax Return'. No matter which of the 1040 series you're using (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ), you attach Copy B to that return.

Only certain qualified taxpayers can use the 1040EZ FORM and the form has only one page with fewer lines so it would be a shorter form to use if you qualify to use it. The 1040 tax form has 2 pages with lines available for all of the different income, adjustments to income tax credits, other taxes, payments, additional tax credit amounts, etc so it would be a 2 page form plus all of the necessary attachments that could be necessary for some of the needed information that would be included on the 1040 LONG form.

You file whatever the state tax instructions tell you to file, which may be neither of those things. ("Both" is clearly wrong, for reasons that will be explained later.)The IRS has three main income tax forms. The instructions for each form contain a short worksheet telling you whether you can use it or not.1040 is the "standard" income tax form. Nearly anyone can use this form (along with various schedules) to file their return. It's the most complicated of the three.1040A is a shorter, simplified form. Most people who do not itemize deductions can use this form.1040EZ is a very short and greatly simplified form for people with no dependents (other than, possibly, a spouse) whose income is almost entirely from wages, salaries, or tips, with less than $1500 of taxable interest income. Like the 1040A, the 1040EZ does not allow itemized deductions (and simplifies things further by combining personal exemptions with the standard deduction).In addition, there's also a Form 1040 Schedule A, which is used to list itemized deductions. It can only be used with Form 1040, because neither Form 1040A nor Form 1040EZ allow itemized deductions.Most states require that you file a copy of your federal return along with your state return. Filing a copy of both Form 1040A and Form 1040 Schedule A would be incorrect, as this is not a valid combination ... you need either 1040 plus 1040 Schedule A (and any other schedules you sent to the feds), or 1040A pretty much by itself or 1040EZ also pretty much by itself. Along with your state return, which generally has to "match" the federal return ... if you used federal 1040, in California you have to file state form 540, if you used federal 1040A you have to file state form 540A, and if you filed federal 1040EZ then you need to use state form 540EZ.

There's the IRS 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ. Each one has different requirements for filing, depending on marital status, earnings, and type of investment. For example, if you itemize your deductions, you need the 1040, but if your requirements are simpler, you can take 1040EZ. See for more information.

The federal IRS tax form 1040 is used by individuals to report and file their income taxes on an annual basis. This form is used in place of the 1040A and 1040EZ for different reasons, such as taxable income higher than $100,000, itemized deductions, or self-employment income.

If you're filing paper copies of your tax return, you need to attach all W-2 forms in the designated areas of the 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ. The 1040 series also indicates the Schedules and Forms which need to be attached. For example, Form 1040 line 12 (business income) states "Attach Schedule C or C-EZ." To claim credit for child and dependent care expenses, both 1040 and 1040A state "Attach Form 2441" at line 48 and line 29, respectively.

On your correctly filed income tax return 1040 page 1 where it says exemptions 1040 line 6d 1040A line 6d and 1040EZ you can only have 2 exemptions 1 for yourself and one for your spouse if married filing a joint income tax return.

Exemptions are listed on the 1040 series. On Form 1040 and Form 1040A, the Exemptions Section is the third section on the first page and covers lines 6a through 6d. On Form 1040EZ exemptions are in the Income Section. You don't identify your exemptions by name. Instead, because you can only file Single or Married Filing Jointly on Form 1040EZ, you enter on line 5 either $9,350 for Single or $18,700 for Married Filing Jointly or a reduced amount according to the 1040EZ worksheet if your parents are claiming you as a dependent.

Yes. The first 2400 of taxable unemployment compensation that you received in the tax year 2009 is subtracted from your total amount received during the year and the remainder is entered on the line on the 1040 tax form that you are using for unemployment benefits 1040 line 19, 1040A line 13 and 1040EZ line 3.

Get a tax form (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ, whichever works for you) and fill it out with the information you have, even though you don't need to file it. Then you will have the necessary line numbers and amounts to use in your FAFSA application. If that means all zeroes, then it will be zeroes.

If you're asking "is it legal to commit tax fraud", then ... no, it's not.There's a box on the Federal form 1040 (and 1040A, and 1040EZ) that says "Wages, Salaries, and Tips". If you don't include all your tips in this amount, then you're committing tax fraud.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.