Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2007-09-04 13:00:32

They are called Air Traffic Controllers.

National Air Traffic Controllers Association -

What is an Air Traffic Controller? -

FAQ's -

Well yes, ATCs guide the aircraft, mostly in the air, but also on the ground by commands over the radio or whatever, but I think the original poster meant the guys who physically direct the aircraft with glowing batons etc.

I believe these are officially known as Aircraft Attendants, but informally as Batmen (and Batwomen, I suppose). The name comes from the long-ago time when they would use things like oversize table-tennis bats to convey their instructions.

User Avatar

Your Answer


Still have questions?

Related Questions

Why does airplane not cast its shadow on ground?

Aeroplanes do cast shadows, but when they are in flight we don't see those shadows on the ground. This is because the aeroplane is several miles above the surface of the earth, and the direct light from the sun can reach the ground from different angles around the plane.

How do you organize your scrapbook supplies?

Try buying one of those bags with the large handles and all of the pockets inside. They sell them at Michaels and other craft stores and are simply craft organizer bags. I think they are around 20 bucks and for large paper things, just get a folder or something.

What are the craft find in villages in Pakistan?

Blacksmiths, carpenters, potters,cobblers, those who can build houses, and those who can mend ploughs and carts.

What vessels are required to carry a whistle or horn and bell?

In most navigational districts, commercial small craft are required to carry those items.

What adjective is these?

these is demonstrative adjective it is like the word those but these describes things closer to you and more direct while those describes something farther away or less direct

Who makes the master craft glaser grip 2 tire?

Those are made by Cooper Tires

Where can I get some pumpkin stencils?

Craft stores and department stores carry these items during the holiday season. Shop around in those stores first. If you can't find the stencils, try ordering them online.

What makes a dog sleep on a hard floor?

it's nice and cool. they have those big coats to carry around, and the cool ground is a nice contrast.

What is a flock of geese called?

A flock of geese is divided into whether the birds are on the ground or in flight.A gaggle of geese are those on the ground. A gaggle has to have at least 5 geese to qualify. A skein of geese are those in flight.

What are the types of torture used for those accused of witch craft?

Emotional, Mental and of course physical tortures.

What was true about craft unions like those led by Samuel Gompers?

The members were all white men.

Why does a cricket ground have those lines?

To identify where the boundary is

What is considered as a direct labor?

Cost of those workers which are directly involved in manufacturing of product is included in direct labor cost.

Ground dependent antennae?

ground antennae are those antennae which are permanently inserted and cannot emit out from your gand

What is the difference between the direct and indirect base class?

Direct base classes are those that are specified in a derived class' inheritance declaration. Indirect base classes are those that are inherited via the direct base classes. class A{}; class B : public A{}; class C : public B{}; With respect to C, B is direct while A is indirect. With respect to B, A is direct.

Who has permission to board a pleasure craft?

Board, anybody... Drive, only those who have passed the Coast guard course.

What is the formula to calculate direct costs?

there is no specific formula to calculate direct cost but direct cost are all those costs which are directly related to production of goods and separately identifiable.

How is the air pressure around a tree different from the air pressure around a plane?

Trees grow from the ground. The ground is often lower than a plane. If the plane is lower than the ground, the passengers and crew are having a very bad day. Since the typical plane that is flying is flying higher than the trees in the vicinity, it is safe to conjecture that the air pressure around a typical tree is higher than the air pressure around a typical plane flying in the vicinity of those trees.

What if the light fixture has two copper house wires?

If you mean 2 bare copper wires those are the ground wires. Tie them together and then connect the light fixture ground wire which will be green or bare copper to those ground wires.

What are those poppy things that pop when you throw them at the ground?

pop its!!!!!!

How is the direct cost principles applicable to labor?

all those costs which are directly attributable to products is direct cost so all labor directly involve in production is direct cost.

Are all direct costs variable?

Direct Cost are those costs that can be directly assigned to a production process. Indirect cost were those costs that cannot be directly assigned to production process but have to allocate to production. Variable costs are those costs that vary directly with the production level. Only Direct cost could be variable . But not all direct cost are variable. Thus direct cost contains both Variable and Fixed elements while indirect costs contains only fixed element.

How does the direct methodology differ from the functional-notional approach?

Direct methodology varies greatly from functional- Notional aproach,What are those differences?

Is it true that all direct costs are variable costs?

All variable costs are those costs which vary with the variation in the volume of production as well as direct costs are those costs which are directly attributable to any specific unit of product so it may be accepted that all direct costs are variable costs but fixed costs may also be direct cost.

Why do we use a parachute when jumping from a air craft?

Well, I have jumped out of quite a few aircraft without a parachute. They were, at those times, parked firmly on the ground. If you do happen to be sky diving, the use of a properly sized, rigged and packed 'chute will reduce your terminal velocity to a speed that is not, well, terminal. The 'chute increases your aerodynamic drag. Without the 'chute you will reach a speed of approximately 120 mph. Impacting the ground at that speed will not only leave a lasting impression on you, but, also on the ground.