Mass of crust = 19.1 zetagrams (1.913x1022kg).
It is not possible to give an exact answer to this question as the Earth's crust varies in thickness and in density. However it is possible to make an estimate, although this will contain errors due to the simplifying assumptions it will be necessary to make.
Earth's crust varies in thickness from as little as 2km thick to over 70 km thick with an average value of approximately 35 km for the continental crust and 4.5 km for the oceanic crust.
Approximately 70 % of Earth's surface is covered in ocean and so it is assumed that this is the proportion of the crust formed of the denser, but thinner oceanic crustal rocks whereas the remaining 30 % is assumed to be composed of the thicker but less dense continental crustal rocks.
Density: It is assumed that the continental crust has an average density of 2700 kg/m3 and the oceanic crust a density of 3000 kg/m3.
Diameter of Earth = 6360 km.
As such, based on the above assumptions an estimation of the mass of the crust can be made by:
Calculating the volume of crustal material:
Volume of Earth = 4/3 x Pi x (6360 x 1000)3
Volume of Earth = 1.07761x1021 m3
Volume of Earth excluding oceanic crust:
Volume = 4/3 x Pi x (6356 x 1000)3
Volume of Earth excluding oceanic crust = 1.07532x1021 m3
Volume of Earth excluding continental crust:
Volume = 4/3 x Pi x (6325 x 1000)3
Volume of Earth excluding continental crust = 1.05991x1021 m3
As such the average volume of continental crust equals:
Volume = (1.07761x1021 - 1.05991x1021)
Volume = 1.76929x1019 m3
As such the average volume of oceanic crust equals:
Volume = (1.07761x1021 - 1.07532x1021)
Volume = 2.28575x1018 m3
Mass = Density x Volume:
Mass of oceanic crust = 2.28575x1018 x 3000 x 0.7
Mass of oceanic crust = 4.8x1021 Kg
Mass of continental crust = 1.76929x1019 x 2700 x 0.3
Mass of continental crust = 1.433x1022Kg
Sum of masses of continental and oceanic crust :
Mass of crust = 1.913x1022 kg.
The crust takes up 1% of earths mass
No. The crust contains a small fraction of earth's mass. Most of the mass is contained in the mantle.
By mass Oxygen
mass of Earth = 5.97219 Ã— 1024 kilograms. Roughly.The mass of the earth is not represented by the earths crust
The Earths crust.
Oxygen and silicon
Under 1 percent
With a very sizable iron core and a (by comparison) wafer-thin crust, I doubt that the earth's crust even approximates a full percentage point.
The earths crust is 7km thick
The crust is about 40 kilometers thick in many places. The crust is the coldest layer of all the layers of earth. The crust makes up less than 1% of the earths mass. The crust is mainly made up of silicon,aluminum,calcium,sodium, and potassium.
The earths crust is a part of the outermost layer.
Isostacy refers to an equilibrium level maintained by the earths crust on top of the mantle. The theory holds that the weight of the earths crust will displace a certain amount of the underlying mantle, and that an equilibrium is reached whereby the mass of the displaced crust and the mass of the displaced mantle are equal, thus holding that part of the crust at a certain height.
Silicon is a mixture of the minerals of the earths crust. so.... silicon isn't something from the earths crust. -thanks for your question.
thinner and denser
The Earths crust is approximately 650 km deep.
The Earths crust is 870 degrees celsius
there is some crust on earths and is called crust
a sudden movement in earths crust is an earthquake
The percentage of calcium in earths crust is 3.6%.