Books and Literature
Vowel Sounds

What is the name for words which are suggestive of their sound object or action?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
May 28, 2007 2:09PM

I think it's 'onomatopoeia': 1 : the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss) 2 : the use of words whose sound suggests the sense