What is the rubber seal or part on a mercury mystiquetransmission used for?

Are you talking about the "lollypop"?

The seal that is placed at the bottom of the filler pipe to seal at factory installation.

This "lollypop" will end up at the bottom of the transmission pan when fluid is first added to the transmission.

You can just discard when you remove pan to change filter.