Asked in
Taxes and Tax Preparation
Income Taxes
Tax Refunds

What is the statute of limitations on filing a tax return if you were incarcerated?


User Avatar
Wiki User
October 16, 2009 8:35PM

The requirement to file tax returns do not change if one is incarcerated, nor is there an exemption to the penalties for filing late. The IRS will not normally provide refunds for years more than three years in the past, but they will collect balances due for as long as they have records.

Of course, many inmates have little income and are not required to file a return for the years they are incarcerated.