Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

What unavoidable poisonous substances are present in food and what tolerance levels does the FDA set?

User Avatar
Wiki User
March 13, 2008 5:43AM

I can start this out with a very common substance that is only a health risk to people with ESRD (end stage renal disease) and others getting Hemodialysis treatment. Phosphorus - For a normal healthy person Phos is no big deal. Naturally filtered out of the body due to natural function of the Kidneys. whne this function is impaired at 10% or less total fuction, phos can be dangerous if not deadly. Phos compounds are found in many foods and dark colas. Used in almost , if not everything referred to as "instant", for its lovely ability to help foods heat faster in the microwave, it makes modern convenience in cooking easy on those of us who count a microwave as a necessary cooking appliance. For those who have taken a x-ray tech radiation science course, you will remember what the image modifier is in the x-ray film slide. Big phosphorescent screen. When exposed to electromagenetic fields it will glow- brightly. For those who have not taken the class you stare at this effect daily on a tv tube. the phos in the screen when hit with the electrons glows to create your tv images. The FDA has not deemed it necessary to place this on the grid on the back of foods at the grocery store which would greatly help those who must avoid it. It is found in high quantities in: cheeses, coffee, organ meats and sausages, dark sodas, instant and microwaveable foods, etc. Don't worry if you have healthy kidneys becasue phos is handled by the body naturally and contributes to the balance in the body's normal physiology. Look at the ingredients list for phos containing compounds if you buy for renal-impaired people. It can lead to lesions and loss of bone density in an ESRD patient. Calcium binders are given to those who can't give up their sausages. The binders work by calcium and phos binding in the intestines prior to the body absorbing it (which is why you take it with or just prior to a meal) and then it is safely excreted in the stool. I have had many patients who take a fistload of Binders with breakfast for the coffee and sausage. Not necessarily a poison, but to some it is a risk to health and well-being