What was the original name of Scotland?
AlbaScotland has been given many names,
- Caledonia - Romans
- Alba/Alban - Gaelic (still used) also supposedly called this (or Albion) by greek sailors.
- Pretanikai nesoi - Contributed to the Greek sailor Pytheas as early as 300 BCE.
- Pryten - Pictish form of the Irish, became Briton in the Teutonic.
- North Britain - Official name used in the Highland clearances
- Scotland - comes from the Scotii clan from Ireland who settled in Dalriada
- Scotland has also been referred to as Scotia