When and why Mawson Station was established?
Mawson Station is a permanent base in Antarctica managed by the
Australian Antarctic Division (AAD). It is named after the
explorer, Douglas Mawson. Mawson is the oldest continuously
inhabited Antarctic station below the Antarctic Circle.
It is located at in Mac Robertson Land. The site was chosen in
1954 by Dr. Philip Law, first director of the AAD, because there is
a large natural harbour, named Horseshoe Harbour, and there is
permanent exposed rock for building.
Mawson Station is the only station to use wind generators for
over 70% of its power needs, saving over 600,000 litres of diesel
fuel per year.
It is the oldest of Australias three permanent Antarctic