Record Labels

Where do you register a record label?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-07-03 06:14:41

You don't "register" a record label per se. But a record label

is a business that - like any other business - must be registered

to do business under whatever laws and regulations are applicable

in the city, county, state, and country where the label operates.

So, to "register" a record label, the owner simply registers the

business locally (e.g. Joe Smith registers Joe's

Barbershop as a 'sole proprietorship' in order to legally

operate his shop in his home town). There are many types of

business formations. A sole proprietorship (one man owner,

unincorporated), an unincorporated partnership, a limited

partnership, a Subchapter S Corporation, a public corporation

(selling stock in the company), a limited liability partnership

(LLP), limited liability company (LLC), etc., etc. Then there's the

record label's name. The company or label name must not conflict

with a name already in use (the name will be cleared through the

Secretary of State's office of the state where the label does

business). You can trademark a name, either in your own state, or

nationally, but, again, only if the name doesn't conflict with one

already trademarked. However, a trademark registration isn't

entirely necessary or even foolproof. It may be possible to

trademark a label name in, say, Kansas, only to learn that a label

with the same name (but no trademark registration of the name) has

been doing business for years from its location in Oregon. The fact

that the Oregon company has been - and still is - operating as a

label means that its use of the name trumps the newly minted label

in Kansas when it comes to doing business nationally. The Oregon

company can successfully obtain a cease and desist order to prevent

the new Kansas label from using the name.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.