Where was dogtown located?

Dogtown is located on 33,000 acres of Southern Utah canyon country. In this country alone, between 3 and 4 million unwanted pets are euthanized every year. Dogtown is an area in central Gloucester of about five square miles, or 3600 acres, stretching from the Riverdale section of the city, north of Route 128, into Rockport, and including the Goose Cove and the Babson Reservoirs. Development is banned in this protected municipal watershed. Dogtown is known for its woods and for its boulders and rock formations left behind when the last glaciers melted, because of the availability of water, in 1642, the Commons Settlement was located here and was for a century the most prosperous part of Gloucester. The famous American artist and poet Marsden Harley described Dogtown as a cross between Stonehenge and Easter Island. Dogtown's development and prosperity lasted from about 1650 until 1750. During this time, the area was home to Gloucester's most prominent families, and since it was directly connected by road to all of Cape Ann's seashore communities, the Commons Settlement, as it was called, was a thriving and successful hub of agriculture, timbering, and transportation.