Asked in
Health
Chips

Which gas is put into bags of crips to keep them fresh?

Answer

User Avatar
Wiki User
December 12, 2011 6:45PM

Nitrogen[N] is put in Crisps bags to keep them fresh. It is Oxygen which spoils the crips by oxidising them and making any fats or oils go rancid and water vapour in air makes them go soggy. So oxygen and water vapour which is about 20% of the air is removed and the remaining 80% is mostly Nitrogen, which does not react with the crisps.