too many electrical cords plugged into one outlet
Because it has electricity flowing to the outlet.
The phrase "electrical shock hazard" means that there is a risk of electrical shock.
There is an adapter for this purpose. It screws in to socket as a typical light bulb, and has a outlet on the opposite end. These however are not recommended. An electrical outlet should be rated for 15 amps. A bulb outlet is not rated for this much current and could be a fire hazard. Also this type of an adapter lacks a ground connection point.
Overloads equal heat, and heat equals fire. Overloading an electrical outlet is a serious fire hazard.
M J. O'Dogherty has written: 'The shock hazard associated with the extinction of fires involving electrical equipment'
When was the first outlet made
A 15 amp 125 volt outlet is a household outlet.
It is a potential shock hazard.
Turn off the fuse in your fuse box which that electrical outlet is connected to.
ELECTRICAL HAZARD - Boots with Electrical Hazard Protection meet ANSI Z41 PT99 standards to provide protection from open circuits. The soles of Electrical Hazard Safety Shoes provide a safety barrier to protect employees from open electrical currents up to 600 volts. Electrical Hazard shoes are often needed in maintenance, welding and engineering positions, where the chance of exposure to electrical currents is high.