You have lower back pain and abdominal pain but only on your right side Pain is chronic but there is no pain during your menstrual period What can cause this?

If the pain is sharp and off-center a bit from the middle of the back around the waistline, you could have mild disk herniation pressing on a nerve. This kind of pain typically radiates into the posterior tissue (front of the body). That it's only on the right side is typical of disk problems, as you usually feel it only on one side.

As far pain going away during your period, several factors can affect disk pain. Many women usually take some type of medicine to ease with cramping during their period, and the types of meds taken usually reduce inflammation. Disk herniations are reduced by anti-inflammatory meds. Also, hormonal changes, and the bloating and other uncomfortable effects associated during menstrual cycles can mask pain or alter pain perceptions in the brain. While the pain may still be there, pain in other areas makes it seem like it's not - the brain can be fooled by other pains and distractions, which is one method of mental pain control.

However, the most likely explanation is that disk pain, especially if it's not that bad (bad herniations will leave you unable to walk and in excruciating pain), will eventually go away if the disk inflammation hasn't been aggravated further and allowed to ease. Typically when we feel pain, we tend to lower activities that aggravate it.

If you have accompanying pain in the back of the leg, knee, thigh or side of the right leg, a disk problem is even more likely.

In the end it depends on the type of pain. Disk pain is sharp and sometimes burning, depending on the severity. Muscle spasms feel tight and somewhat sharp. Muscle pain is achy and throbbing.

Having severe back/spine problems for many years, I've required the use of opiates for a long time to deal with my pain. However, there are some OTC meds that I use when I don't need or feel like taking them. Bayer Back and Body Aspirin is one; Tylenol Rapid Release gel-tabs are the other.

If you think the descriptions I've listed fit what you're experiencing, then your best option is to see either a Pain specialist or a Chiropractor. At the very least you should let your regular doctor know about it.