Your joint account with your wife had been frozen due to a debt she owed Can your personal account be frozen too as a result of that?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2014-08-28 00:18:21
2014-08-28 00:18:21

If a joint account with a wife had been frozen because of a debt she owed, a husband's personal account can also be frozen, but it depends on when the debt was acquired and who the money is owed to. A legal professional will be able to advise a person about the laws of their state as it may differ about community property laws.

User Avatar

Related Questions

From personal experience with a big UK bank, I csan say that our joint account wasn't frozen when my wife died. I don't know about the crest of the EU.

A joint account can be frozen by a judgment creditor of one owner. That can cause not only an indeterminate period of inconvenience for the non-debtor owner but also may result in the loss of half of the funds in the account. You should not open a joint account with another person who has a history of debt problems. You can read more about frozen bank accounts in general at the link provided below.

yes it can..the banks does not care if it is a joint account or not and they do not care if you are married

yes a joint account in the bank cab be frozen if a person has a judgment against him. That account wth that number is frozen or the other partner will withdraw all the money.

without knowing which country you are in I can not say yes or no, but..I am in a similar situation here in England. My marriage broke up in May. My wife took the joint account with her as it received her salary, and i maintained my own account. However, my wife decided to declare herself bankrupt and as a result, the joint account is frozen, my own personal account frozen, and furthermore an account in the names of myself and my mother also. So, essentially i think the answer is..yes, but, not directly. It depends upon how your wife behaves in respects of any accounts where your names as listed together

A joint account is just another bank account which can be used for any purpose. Yes, you can use it to take a personal loan or pay for one. There are no restrictions reg. joint accounts not be linked with personal loans.

Banks handle death in different ways. If your account is frozen, a death certificate will help resolve the issue and unfreeze your account.

Yes. That's why no one should open a joint account with someone who owes child support. At least half of the balance at the time of the lien can be frozen.Yes. That's why no one should open a joint account with someone who owes child support. At least half of the balance at the time of the lien can be frozen.Yes. That's why no one should open a joint account with someone who owes child support. At least half of the balance at the time of the lien can be frozen.Yes. That's why no one should open a joint account with someone who owes child support. At least half of the balance at the time of the lien can be frozen.

No. The account becomes the sole property of the survivor.

In order to write a letter to bank manager to change personal account to joint account, you need to include all possible details. You should provide all your personal information including account number and proper identification among other documents that may be required.

To be sure just sit down with a personal banker at the branch that holds the account and they will let you know your options for sure.

No. Credit history pertains to the individual. With the exception of joint accounts such as credit cards, not bank accounts.

a joint account is an account that is joint together for an opening account. While beneficiary account are people that gain some promo from the bank

Answer: In some jurisdictions if there is some proof that the account was made a joint account only for purposes of convenience then the assets in the account would become a part of the estate. Many people leave particular instructions regarding joint accounts in their Wills either stating that the account is to go to the joint owner or that it was only made joint for convenience.

If she is a joint account holder the account would now belong to her. If there is no joint account holder then the account would be legally frozen until an Administrator is appointed for your uncle's estate. Until then no one has any authority to access his bank account. You should make certain the bank has been notified of his death.

From experience (as far as I know), if you are a joint holder of the frozen bank account, yes, they can garnish, but check your state statues because you may be exempt from garnishment.

Yes. If you want to get out of a joint account, you can contact the bank and submit a written request to be removed as a joint holder of that account. The other parties involved in the joint account have to approve your removal from the account, only then the bank will complete the formalities.

Full ownership of a joint account passes to the surviving joint owner unless the joint account was set up for purposes of convenience only and the account is otherwise devised in a will.

The surviving joint owner is the sole owner of the account and can maintain it or close it. That is the reason for having a joint account.

Yes to the extent that the loan becomes an asset (bank account, etc.).

No. Two minors can not open a joint account

If it is a joint bank account, then yes. But a savings account cannot be drawn from very many times before handling fees are applied for most banks.

Only if it is a joint account or payable on death to the "common law spouse". If it is a sole account in your mother's name then it is a part of her estate.

It would normally be frozen until the deceased person's estate has been wound up. It's done simply to establish how much of the balance in the joint account belongs to the deceased person's estate. Once all the numbers have been crunched - the account is usually unfrozen.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.