Is it possible to receive unclaimed Social Security benefits from a parent?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

No. There really is no such thing as "unclaimed" Social Security benefits. If a person pays FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes but dies before he or she can collect benefits, his or her widow or widower and minor children, or adult children disabled before age 22 (if applicable) can collect monthly checks for survivors' benefits.

Able-bodied adult children or those who became disabled after age 22 cannot collect money from a parent's Social Security (FICA) contributions. The unpaid amount remains in the Social Security trust fund.

It is possible that a deceased parent was due one monthly Social Security payment at the time of death. Under these circumstances, the benefit can be paid to the next of kin. For more information, see Sources and Related Links, below.
3 people found this useful

If a father signs over his parental rights will the child receive Social Security benefits?

Biological children can be eligible for survivor benefits when are of minor age and a parent dies.. The termination or relinquishment of parental rights does not always relie

Is it possible to receive a social security benefit of 25000 dlrs. per year?

Yes, but... . According to the Social Security Administration, the maximum benefit for a worker retiring at full retirement age is $2,116 per month in 2007. That is $25,392

If a parent receives Social Security benefits can the minor children receive money too?

If a parent receives Social Security Disability (SSDI) or retirement benefits, his or her minor children can also receive a monthly benefit until age 18, or age 19 if the chil

If your son receives Social Security benefits as a dependent child which parent will receive the payment?

One parent will be designated the "representative payee" for the child's benefits. Usually the parent who filed the retirement or disability claim will fill out a form accepti