Auto Insurance

After an accident do you have to use your insurance check or can you opt to live with the damage and spend the money elsewhere?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-09-09 04:53:45
2005-09-09 04:53:45

The simple answer to this is yes you can keep the check and spend it on something else. Unless there is a loan on the car. Then the lender will insist that you have it repaired.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Need to check the state law for the statute of limitations for property damage claims.

Depends on what insurance you have. LIABILITY insurance covers damage you cause to other people and their cars. COLLISION covers damage to your car from an accident. COMPREHENSIVE insurace covers fire, theft, flood and broken glass. Check with your insurance company.

If the check is for the damage to the car, it would go to one of the registered owners. If the check is for injuries, it would go to the injured party.

Check with Gargash Insurance Services, UAE's leading professional insurance brokers. They offer quality auto insurance policy at affordable premium rates. It covers accidental damage caused to your car and the damage or injury you cause to another vehicle or its driver in an accident or to any 3rd party. Loss of or damage to your car through fire or theft is also covered.

No you do not have to use it for your vehicle damage. You can use it as you wish. You are required to be compensated for your damage, It is up to you what you do with that compensation. If you have a Lien holder on the vehicle then you likely have contractual obligations with them to fix any damage.

If you haven't paid the vehicle off, then you must repair the vehicle with the insurance check. If you don't owe a bank anything, you are not required to fix the vehicle. Keep in mind, if the vehicle has unrepaired physical damage and you get in another accident the insurance company will not give you another penny. They are only required to repair the vehicle to the condition it was in prior to the accident. If it was already damaged, they won't give you a dime

Each state has different time periods of filing an insurance claim after an accident. Check with you state to make sure you do not miss the filing period.

1st if your okay and you feel nothings broken get out of the car. 2nd check to see if the other person (people) are okay. 3rd. if not call 911 ASAP! 4th check car damage 5th. call insurance agent and exange insurance numbers

Every state has its own minimum reporting requirements for PROPERTY DAMAGE accidents, usually set as a dollar amount. However - ANY accident involving PERSONAL INJURY, must be reported immediately. Furthermore, your own insurance carrier may have a damage reporting requirement - check your insurance policy

You can it just wont help that current accident (only future accidents)and the rates will be higher priced. If you want to get cheap rates following your accident (which is normally hard to do), you can check out 4autoinsurancequote, which is offering insurance coverage starting at $20/month.

It is legal as long as you don't have an outstanding loan on the vehicle, if your insurance company paid the claim, and you keep the car. Your insurance company has the right to drop coverage or reduce the amount of coverage. If you have a loan, in most states, the check has to be issued to the body shop directly or to you and the lienholder jointly. Yes it is legal. However ... should you get into another accident, previous unrepaired damage is NOT covered and can cause a problem with determing what is the additional damage from the second accident.

No. YOu need Motorcycle Insurance. Check out this site for more resources on Motorcycle Insurance.

It depends on if you have a lien placed on your vehicle (by you lender. If you own the car free and clear, you can take the insurance money and not repair the car, but if there is a lien on your vehicle more often than not the insurance company will make the check out to you and your bank.

Only if the insurance covers more than one driver. Check the policy.

You need to check with your agent or policy services for you company. They can tell you their rules for accident/claims related rate increases.

Catastrophic insurance coverage includes many damage or events caused by both natural disasters or other accidental damage to your home. Damage by events such as flooding, lightning, wind damage, and other weather events are generally covered. Some catastrophic insurance coverage policies also cover damage done by fire, but check with your insurance company to be sure.

depends on your insurance. Some insurances allow you to go trough them and they cut you a check for the damage minus your deductible, other insurances make you go trough the other person's insurance and it's a waiting game.

Not all car insurance plans provide loaner cars when your car is in the shop after an accident. This is a convenience which may or may not be offered. Check with your insurance company to see if this service is provided.

There are several different options in order to get an Accident Cover insurance. Depending on the country one lives in one might check for example "Aviva plc" (British insurance company) or "eHealthInsurance" (American company) - just to list two of them.

That depends on the insurance company. Some will send you a check, and others will only pay the shop.

Always if in California. Check your local DMV office. But many people do not and the insurance company will figure it out anyway.

Usually yes. It depends on the brand of insurance though. You should check with your provider to be sure.

If the damage happened on the property, maybe. You'll wish to check your policy for coverage, and consult with your insurance agent for specific details.

Homeowners insurance covers what is inside the home. Check your auto insurance for auto damages.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.