Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2014-06-25 18:26:00

A 13 year old can go before a judge and tell them that they do not want to visit their non custodial parent anymore. A 13 year old is old enough to know if they want to continue a relationship with a parent.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions

Yes, if you have court ordered visitation and pay child support etc, she needs your permission as well as the courts to move. The court orders has to be followed.

I would think it would be 18 or if you can prove the noncustodial parent is causing harm to the child.

This is hard to answer because there can be many variables involved. The noncustodial parent may contest the move and take the custodial parent to court to show cause. But it may not be possible for the noncustodial parent to actually prevent the move unless the move is out of state.

Without proof of the parent being an unfit one or proof of abuse, a child can not choose to end court ordered visitations. A child can ask the court for an amendment of visitation at the age of 16. But will most likely need a lawyer to represent them, and file the papers with the court.

For our daughter it was 18 years of age. or he or she can become emancipated at 16 years of age through family court.. which in terms deems the minor an adult. The person is no longer required to visit non custodial parent.

Children who are at an age of understanding, and able to make informed decisions for themselves (to a point) can choose to reduce or stop visitation. If possible, the custodial parent can petition the court to modify the custody and visitation with the request of the teenager, and the Judge may want to ask the teen some questions regarding their choice.

Not if there's a stepparent or grandparent to take on the task.

Only with a court order.see link

the noncustodial parent is usually awarded some type of visitation rights in order to enable a relationship with the father. If the father is unfit however, them this needs to be brought to the attention of the court that the father is engaging in a lifestyle and practices that are harmful to the child. If that is found to be the case and true, then there is the possibility for either supervised visits or total denial of visitation rights until the issue is resolved.

No - they are separate matters. If the custodial parent is denying court-ordered visitation, file a complaint with that court.

When they move out of the custodial parent's home see links

If you're in the US, the age is 18. Until then, if the parent has court-ordered visitation, it has to be followed. If there is a legitimate reason the child does not want to visit the parent, the custodial parent can petition the court to revise the visitation order. Be aware the court will not deny a parent the right to visitation without a very good reason.

No, this decision is made by the judge, not the child or the parents. However, if you or your custodial parent feels it is not safe or if the non-custodial parent is emotionally abusive, etc., then you can have your attorney file a motion to have visitation stopped. But it will not be granted unless you have very good, valid reasons for requesting no visitation with the parent.But before doing something this drastic, I suggest you examine your reasons for wanting to stop the visitation, and be very honest. If you want to stop visitation for the wrong reasons, this may very well cause irreparable damage between you and your other parent. And if that parent loves you and is good to you, think how devestating that will be to them.Also, if the parent with whom you do reside is encouraging you to not see your other parent anymore, and if the other parent is good to you, then you need to go by what you feel and know, not by someone who may just want revenge on the other parent.

A child has to follow a visitation schedule until they are 18. They may stop visiting if the courts orders it.

this depends on how far the move is taking place, it is best to go through the family court to find out what rights you have regarding a move.

Legally the parent has to allow court ordered visitation. The child has to go along with the plan.In a practical sense, the parents could discuss the matter and then work with the child to find a middle ground. As children grow older, they often prefer not to have their lives interrupted and so it is better to have shorter visits rather than the extended visits that are part of the lives of younger children.AnswerYes. The visitation order remains in effect until it has been modified by the court. Generally, a child cannot make the decision to end visitations until the age of eighteen. The parents should try to remedy the situation that makes the child want to stop the visits. If there is a good reason to stop the visits the custodial parent must return to court and request a modification. Until the visitation order is modified the non-custodial parent can file a motion for contempt of a court order against the custodial parent if the visitation order is violated.

You probably don't - in general, the law supports the idea that both parents should be in the child's life. If you feel that visitation might harm the child in some way, you can ask the courts to require supervised visitation, or visitation limited to public places.

I think they should go to court and from there the judge will decide.

Copyright ยฉ 2021 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.