Best Answer

Yes/no if house is only in your name depending on what the judgment is for, pertaining to anything you did together. * If the property was obtained during the marriage and the couple reside in a community property state, then a lien is possible. If the couple do not reside in a CP state a lien is not possible regardless of when the property was purchased.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2006-04-25 03:43:50
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides
See all Study Guides
Create a Study Guide

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Can a lawsuit judgment and attorney fees incurred by a spouse be enforced as a lien against a home that is solely owned by the non debtor spouse?
Write your answer...
Related questions

A creditor won a judgment against me and the estate of my marriage for a debt incurred prior to my marriage can my husband's wages be garnished to collect on this judgment?

If the husband was not liable for the debt, then his wages cannot be garnished to collect on the judgment. The judgment is against the person who incurred the debt.

Can a lawsuit judgment incurred by a spouse be enforced as a lien against a home?

It is my understanding that a lawsuit judgment can be registered against a building used as residence, whether the lawsuit is initiated by a spouse or someone else, which would thereby prevent the owner/occupant from selling the house without satisfying the judgment against it. However, the action to seize and evict would not be enforced as long as the owner/occupant lived there. If you have a Law Line in your area, I would advise giving them a call as they would be able to tell you how the law applies specifically in your jurisdiction.

Does a contract with an attorney end after the judgment has entered against you?


Can you become an attorney if you have a small claims judgment against you?


How do I dispute a judgment entered against me?

You need the advice of a solicitor (attorney) to do this.

How can you garnish someone's checking account?

In most states is the lender receives a judgment against the borrower/debtor the judgment can be enforced as a bank account levy.

If an attorney receives a judgment against you how does he collect if you own no assets?

Garnish your wages.

Can a chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge a civil judgment on a credit card debt?

Yes, unless the debt was fraudulent incurred. If the debt was fraudulently incurred, the creditor could file an action objecting to the discharge of that debt. One important thing to remember is that judgment LIENS will survive the bankruptcy unless the debtor files a petition under Section 522 of the bankruptcy code to remove the lien. If you file for bankruptcy, make sure you tell your attorney about any judgments against you so the attorney can investigate whether or not any liens exist.

Can a civil claim judgment in one county be enforced as a lien against real property in other county?

No, it would be out of their jurisdiction and not enforceable.

In Nevada can a wife's wages be garnished by a civil judgment against her husband for debts he incurred during their marriage.?

In some community property states it is possible for a creditor to garnish the wages of either spouse even if only one spouse is the judgment debtor if the debt was incurred during the marriage. Such a garnishment would not apply in cases of child support or alimony. In non CP states only the spouse who holds the account is responsible for the debt. Spouse's are not responsible for their partner's debts that were incurred before marriage regardless of where the married couple reside. That being the case, a judgment against a person before their marriage could not be enforced against the new spouse. Please be advised, that if the judgment has not been executed, it is the debtor's responsibility to file the allowed real and personal property exemptions and other pertinent information. In such a situation, the non debtor spouse could not have his or her wages garnished, but in most states it is possible to levy joint marital bank accounts.

When was International Coalition against Enforced Disappearances created?

International Coalition against Enforced Disappearances was created in 2007.

How do you place a lien on a company that has not paid you?

First, you must file a suit in either small claims or district court. You will need to prove your claim. When you prove it, you will obtain a judgment against that company. Afte you obtain a judgment, you can have the judgment enforced and one of the ways you can enforce a judgment is to put a lien on non-exempt real property.

What can credit card company get when they sue you?

States inact laws that determine howa judgment creditor can execute the judgment against the judgment debtor. In most states a judgment writ can be enforced as a wage garnishment (preferred method) or bank account levy or a lienand/orseizure and sale of unexempt real or personal property belonging solely to the judgment debtor.

If was a judgment against your wife before you got married will that affect you when selling your home?

Any debts incurred by a person before marriage belong to them entirely, and will not affect the other spouse.

If you have a judgment against you and you die do the judgment disappear?

No, it is levied against your estate.

Can a creditor with a judgment garnish more than one income?

Certainly, as long as the income belongs to the judgment debtor. A judgment creditor could not enforce a wage garnishment against co-debtor spouses simultaneously. Wage garnishment must run consecutively no concurrently. Likewise a judgment creditor could not execute a wage garnishment against dual income of the judgment debtor(s). For example, if the debtor worked two part time jobs the garnishment could only be enforced as a singular judgment against one of the earnings.

If you have a debt in collections or a judgment but have no property in the US can your creditors collect on property or assets in another country?

No, judgments or debt collection procedures cannot be enforced against the debtor's property outside of U.S. borders. Where large debts have been incurred in conjunction with a business, litigation action has been somewhat sucessful in U.S. Commonwealth countries like Puerto Rico.

Can you file a lawsuit against an attorney for sexual misconduct?

Absolutely, any individual has the right to file suit for damages that he or she has incurred due to another person's misbehavior, negligence, etc.

What is a levy?

A levy in financial terms, is one way in which a writ of judgment can be enforced to collect a debt. Sometimes wage garnishment is referred to as a "levy against earnings". More often a levy is placed against bank accounts.

How long do you have to pay a judgment after it has been entered against you?

That is difficult to determine as it depends on the judgment holder and the laws of the state in which the judgment was awarded. Before the judgment can be executed it must be filed with the clerk of the court and signed by the judge. How the judgment holder chooses to collect the debt (wage garnishment, bank account levy, lien, etc.) would also have a bearing on when the judgment is enforced. Of course the judgment debtor also has the option of trying to negotiate with the judgment holder to pay the debt owed.

Can a small claims court judgment be discharged in a chapter 7 bankruptcy?

Yes, unless the judgment was a result of fraud. If the judgment creditor has filed a judgment lien against any of your property, you will need to take the additional step of filing a petition under Section 522(f) of the Bankruptcy Code to remove the lien. Be sure to tell your attorney about any liens that you might have against you.

Is a judgment against everything that you own or are judgments against specific things?

A judgment is against specific things.

Can you put a lien on an unlicensed contractor who is paid in full and doesn't finish the job?

No. Liens are filed only by persons who were not paid for goods or services they provided. For a quick, inexpensive, and informal way to get justice from the deadbeat contractor without an attorney or any legal knowledge, I suggest small claims court. A small claims court judgment will be a judgment lien against the crook, and can be enforced through a variety of means, including requiring him to come to court and answer questions about his property (judgment debtor examination.) If the amount you are owed exceeds the small claims jurisdictional limit, see an attorney (look in the phonebook for one who gives "free consultations.)

How do you file a judgment against a company?

You don't file a judgment you file a lawsuit against a company. A judgment is what you get if you win the legal battle.

Can you put a lien on someones home because they owe you money?

It depends on what the debt is the result of. If the debt was incurred because of unpaid services rendered or goods delivered to their property, then, yes. For all other debts, you will need what is called a judgment lien. A judgment lien is where you sue someone, and are awarded a judgment against them. If the judgment is not paid, it can be filed in the property records, and creates a lien on the debtor's property.