Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out

Can a minor child who is 11 get emancipated and live with her grandparents?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2012-09-01 10:57:36
2012-09-01 10:57:36

No. Being emancipated means taking care of yourself and pay your own bills, have your own place, work etc. You can not seek early emancipation until you are 16 in the states that have that option. As long as you are a minor your parents or the court decides where you live.

User Avatar

Related Questions

yes, as long as the parents agree to allow their child to live with their grandparents its fine as long as the grandparents can support the child.

No, as a minor you are not allowed to choose who to live with. That is up to the parents.

If she is emancipated or has her parents permission she can live where ever she wants.

No, a minor can not move out of their grandparents home if they have guardianship. The minor will have to live with the grandparents until their 18th birthday.

When they are 18. An emancipated minor could also chose to do so at 16.

Bearing a child does not make one 18 years old. They are still a minor and live where the parents say.

The minor may live where ever they want, the have been emancipated, they may control their own lives with no involvement from parents.

If you are a minor you need your parents permission to move.

No, minors can not live alone in the state of Iowa. The only way a minor can live alone is if the minor has been emancipated.

No. A 15 year old is still a minor, but now one with a child. Becoming pregnant does not make a minor emancipated. To become emancipated a minor child needs to go before a judge to have him/her determine if she can support herself and the baby. The judge will want to know the means of support and other living conditions. Being emancipated means that a person can support themselves, have a job, pay the rent, pay for babysitting, and do all things needed to live. I doubt that a judge will allow a 15 year old minor to become emancipated with a baby without the needed support.

If you are a minor you need parental permission to live elsewhere.

For the child to choose where to live the child have to be 18 years old.

This abuse should be communicated to the other parent that the minor child wishes to live with. If the parent cannot look after the minor child because of their working hours or their job that may have them traveling out of country, then the minor should report the abuse to Child Aid. Once Child Aid is involved the courts will decide if the other parent would be more suitable for the child to live with or they may decide that child can live with grandparents or other relatives. If this is not possible then the courts will take charge and generally put the minor child in foster care until they are no longer a minor.

In Illinois, yes, you would be emancipated. Good luck. ****** There is no state in the US where a minor is emancipated merely by getting pregnant/having a child (that would be ridiculous). You are still subject to the rules and authority of your parents, so they get to decide where you're allowed to live.

Emancipation is usually quite easily acquired if you can show that you can support yourself or show that your grandparents will support you. You do have to go to court. It's not as scarry as it sounds.

You go before a judge and prove you can support yourself and your child. He will decide if you have the proper income and the means to be emancipated.

No, the minor cannot choose until he is 18. Until then he needs parental consent.

Yes. You have to apply for emancipation, then after you've been granted - you can live with anyone you want.

No.Pregnancy or having a child does not confer automatic emancipation upon a minor.____________________________________________________________________Emancipation ends the parents' rights to control his or her minor child or to participate in any decision-making about the child. If a child is emancipated, the parents no longer have the right to determine where the child lives or goes to school, or how the child's money is spent. The parent also has no right to the minor's wages or earnings.The emancipated child's parents, in some situations, also would be relieved of certain responsibilities. For example, the parents would no longer be required to pay child support. The parents also would no longer remain responsible for harm that their minor child causes to other people or property. Because the parents no longer are responsible for damages the minor child causes, the minor could be sued personally and held responsible for damages s/he causes.While emancipation relieves both the parent and child from certain obligations, the minor must still follow the law. For instance, even if s/he is emancipated, the child still cannot drive until age 16, and must attend school through his or her 16th birthday. An emancipated minor still cannot vote until age 18, and cannot purchase or consume alcohol until age 21. Also, gaining emancipated status will not allow a minor to remove himself or herself from undesired services of the Department of Social Services.There is no formal procedure in Massachusetts for a child to become emancipated from his/her parents. Most judges will not grant a child emancipated status. However, a child may still file for emancipation in the Probate and Family Court of his or her county despite the lack of a formal procedure. In rare situations where a judge is convinced that emancipation is in the best interest of the minor and that the parents are not using it to get out of paying child support, the judge may grant emancipation.Even if the child cannot be emancipated, s/he still may have options to live elsewhere, and may have independent rights. Remember that a minor does not have to be emancipated in order to receive welfare from the state, to consent to certain medical procedures, or to obtain an abortion. http://www.clcm.org/minors_rights.htmIs a minor emancipated if he or she enlists in the military?In some states, enlisting in the military is enough to allow a minor to make many decisions on his or her own, as an emancipated minor wouldIs a minor emancipated if he or she gets married?In some states marriage is sufficient to allow a minor to make many decisions on his or her own, as an emancipated minor would some states you can get marrie at at 16 if you are a resident of that state it does not count if you live in a state where marrage at 18 and go to a state where you can marrie at 16 the marrage can be null invoidIs a minor emancipated if he or she has a child?In some states if you can finantually take care of your self (have a JOB) then yes, but if you cant then (No) If a minor has a child, he/she can consent to medical treatment for himself/herself and the child, but he or she is not otherwise considered emancipated. read up on your state laws - even if you can take care of your self finantually you may still have to go through legal aid or cps for help!___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________What if a minor is pregnant?Unlike marriage, getting pregnant and having children does not mean that a minor is emancipated. The reasoning is that when a minor marries the spouse (rather than the parents) will support the minor. By contrast in most cases, a minor who is pregnant (or recently gave birth) will continue to depend on parents or legal guardians for financial support.In Maryland there are exceptions to this general rule.A pregnant female over age 16 is "emancipated with respect to matters concerning the pregnancy" (In re. Smith 16 Md. App. 209,295, A.2d 238 (1972)). This means that she has the right to control her own decisions about her pregnancy. This includes decisions about pre-natal care and abortion. Another exception would be if a minor moves out of a parent's house and set up housekeeping with the child's father, a friend, or partner. Depending on overall circumstances, this may show that s/he intends to be free from the parent's custody, control and support._________________________________________________________________________

No, a minor can not choose where to live until he is age of majority in his state, usually 18.

No. If there is a valid concern, the grandparents can file a child in need of care motion. At the hearing, the judge can choose to interview the child on the choice and the reasons behind it. Often, a child expresses a desire to live with grandparents. I very much remember that point in 1969.

No, they must file a child in need of care motion with the court.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.