Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2008-06-13 15:50:17
2008-06-13 15:50:17

this is the scenario: my wife is currently a permanent resident. We got married in Italy AFTER she got her green card . We decided not to file a petition on my behalf as that would put me on a long waiting list. We are now in the process of going to the US to accrue physical presence and get her citizenship. If I go to the US with her on a visa waiver program and overstay for about 3 years waiting for her to become a citizen, will I be able to adjust status WITHOUT leaving the US?


Related Questions

is a british citizen can get maried to a tourist visa in the uk

There is no way for that person to becme a citizen immediately. Once the children reach the age of 21, they can sponsor the person for residency, but it is a long process.

Overstaying a visa- no matter what classification- is grounds for deportation. If he is in hiding, you had better keep him there. Marriage would make no difference.AnswerIf the illegal alien can into the U.S. on a valid tourist visa even it is currently expired would be able to adjust status when he married a U.S. citizen. He would have to be careful about leaving the U.S. until he received his greencard because he could incur a 10 year ban for having overstayed.

well many things happen and it is in a secrect file that no one can know

If you are married to a US citizen but your tourist visa is expired and you lost your I-94, you should immediately apply for a new visa or return to your country. Your I-94 is filed electronically, and you can get a new copy from the Department of Homeland Security. If you don't take action yourself, you may end up being deported and not allowed to return.

Any British citizen can enter the US on the Visa waiver program for 3 months as a tourist only--working is not allowed.

A US citizen can marry a foreign national on a tourist visa. The only requirement is that neither of them should already be married.

Yes, Indian tourist visa can be extended on medical grounds.

It is a person who is a foreigner (not a citizen) who tours a country not native to that person.tourist travelling to and between foreign countries

No. A US citizen can be a tourist in Germany VISA-free for 90 days.

I'am filipino citizen, do i need tourist visa going to japan?

A US citizen who wants to marry a Mexican with a tourist visa may do so in the state in which the US citizen resides. The Mexican national needs only to provide a valid ID; a Mexican passport will do.

Yes, definitely. You do not need to be a US citizen to bring a lawsuit in the US court system.

I think i can answer this one. my email address is

As a tourist, for up to six months.

A tourist is a person that travels in a place or country with a purpose to enjoy the scenery or experience its culture. And if a tourist wants to get married to a native citizen, he/she will have to undergo a lot of examinations and interviews.

Just go get married. Your alien status has nothing to do with getting married. Normalizing your status after marriage is another matter though. You should still be able to change your illegal alien status to that of legal resident by way of marriage to a citizen, but the process will be complicated both by your past crime and your lack of documentation.

A US citizen can marry a non citizen on tourist visa provided the marriage is genuine and the alien didn't enter US with the sole intent of marrying and settling in US thus committing a visa fraud.So its important :for the marriage to happen in good faith.tourist should not hastily marry within 60 days of arrival in US or more dangerously within 30 days in US(30/60 rule)tourist coming to US with preconceived plan to marry and marry immediately after entering US is illegal.even if the marriage is over the person on tourist visa cannot file for adjustment of status until and unless he has a clean background, person's health, criminal history, evidence for marriage etc would be checked before the US citizen can petition for spouse's green card.until you get your green card or have a advance parole document non citizen cannot leave USCBP (Customs and Border Protection) inspection officers, at a port of entry through which the tourist entered would watch the non citizen.If anything is intentional for immigration gains the person may have to face a permanent ban from entry to US.So a US citizen can marry a person on tourist visa in US,file for adjustment of status and live ever happily in US. Else if the immigration officials are not convinced the non citizen may be deported to home country.

You can dig for diamonds -- you, a citizen, a tourist, a visitor, single-handedly.

The quick answer is NO. The only intent of entering the USA on a tourist visa is for that purpose and that purpose only. If you intend on marrying a US citizen you must apply for a K-1 visa if you have not maried yet and a K-2 if you have already been married for three years. If you are stopped and questioned and any proof of intent to marry while entering on a tourist visa you will be deported and banned from entering under any circumstance for at least a minimum of five years. If a foreigner wishes to marry a US citizen then it is best to apply for the appropriate visa beforehand.

A US citizen can remain in the UK for 6 months on a tourist visa, however not allowed to work.

The same way you marry a girlfriend that has not overstayed. Getting married has nothing to do with immigration law. However, any falsification on the marriage license can invalidate the marriage. Being in the country illegally will not change based on marital status. If you really want to get married and have a long relationship, consult an immigration attorney.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.