Best Answer
Insurance for a Car you do not ownYes, You can Insure the property of another Person. So Long as you do so properly and have authorization to do so and the owner is benefited, or an other insurable interest in that property exists.

An example is a case where dad says " OK, you can use my spare car but you gotta get your own coverage".

If You have permissive use from the owner of a vehicle, then obviously you have an insurable interest. However, Only the Legal owner of the Property or the designated agent of the owner can receive compensation for the property in the event of a covered loss, so you need to list the owner as an insured on the policy.

If you buy proper insurance coverage, Then Dad will be proud and happy you were prudent enough to fully insure his and your interest in the vehicle he loaned you.

You can not insure the property of another when no insurable interest exists and only the legitimate owner can receive compensation for a property loss. For Liability purposes any authorized driver has an interest in the insured status of a vehicle they are driving.

List all drivers for liability purposes and list the owner for his property interest.

Failure to disclose ( AKA "concealment") that the vehicle is owned or driven by another can negate any comprehensive or collision coverage and compromise liabilities. Meaning that the company would not have to pay in the event of that type of loss.


Yes, you can. I did through Allstate Insurance Company. They did not ask if the car was in my name and I did not tell them anything different.

User Avatar

Wiki User

2015-07-15 20:50:25
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides


25 cards

What is forfeiture

Which of these is the best description of delinquency

Which term is defined as property that is pledged as security on a loan

This is Paula's monthly budget What percent of her expenses is spent on insurance

See all cards
4 Reviews

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Can you get a full coverage insurance policy on a car that you do not own?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
Related questions

If you are in an accident in Texas and it is your fault will your insurance cover your car repairs?

Yes, if your policy has adequate coverage. If you have full coverage insurance, your car will be repaired completely and your portion of the repairs will be whatever your deductible is.

If you have full coverage insurance in Ohio will it cover any car you drive?

Usually it does, you would have to check to see if you have a broad coverage policy or not.

Do the laws about car insurance North Carolina say I have to have insurance on my car?

In most states, including North Carolina, you still have to maintain some form of car insurance coverage. If the car is paid off you can drop your policy from full coverage to liability insurance.

Can you have liability only car insurance in Michigan?

In state of Michigan, you can only have liability coverage if your car is paid off. Otherwise, you will have to purchase a full coverage policy.

If you dont have insurance but the car has full coverage and you are stopped by the police what fine can you get?

Assuming you had permission to drive the car and you are not an excluded operator on the policy covering the vehicle then coverage should apply per the conditions of the policy.

What are a few features of Alabama car insurance?

It depends on the policy that you buy: you can get full coverage, bodily injury, property damage coverage, a full deductible, and several other options.

Does Michigan require car insurance?

The state of Michigan does require that all drivers have some car insurance. This includes either having liability or full policy coverage.

Is there any cheap car insurance Arkansas for liability insurance?

Liability coverage is usually much cheaper than a full coverage policy. However, the final price will depend on your driving record and year of the car.

Car insurance requirements for Massachusetts?

Just like most other cities, Boston also requires drivers have at least liability insurance coverage. If you are financing a car however, you will need a full coverage policy.

Can a car be repossessed because of no collision insurance when standard insurance was active on the car?

If your contract requires full coverage and you do not have full coverage, you are in violation of the contract.

Why do they call it full coverage insurance when a normal policy doesn't cover the full cost of the car if any moneys are owed?

They call it full coverage because it means your car's damages will be paid for regardless of whether or not the damage is your fault.

Does the co-buyer have to be on the insurance policy if he does not drive the car?

Not where I live in Ohio. My mother co-signed a car for me, and her name didnt have to be on the insurance, as long as the vehicle carried full coverage insurance in my name.

People also asked