Can you get arrested for taking your children if there are no custody papers?

If a single father, yes, as you have no assumed rights to the child. If married, generally not, but the application of this is less clear as the police rarely ask the mother to prove she has custody. As such, you get arrested and by the time you clear it up, she has filed against you. see link