Can you get married in a church without a marriage license in Utah?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2014-01-10 20:20:50
2014-01-10 20:20:50

No. A marriage license is required to be legally married in the state of Utah. A few churches will perform a ceremony without a license, but it does not count as a valid legal marriage.

User Avatar

Related Questions

Without a license, it is not recognized as a legal marriage. It may allow one to become eligible for a common law marriage.

No. You need the license to be legal without it you just have a nice ceremony.

yes you can but the marriage will not be legal by state law without the marriage license. However this varies between states, like Nevada.

In some places around the world, a church marriage is all that is required. Today, in every state in the US, a marriage license is required and that must be issued by the county or other government authority. The priest will not perform the marriage ceremony without the license.

Contact the place that issued the license. That should be the court house. And what you probably want is the Certificate of Marriage, not the license.

When it comes to marrying in a church or a chapel, there aren't any 'laws' about it. If the preacher is willing to do it, then you can. But he's not going to be willing to do it without a valid marriage license.

No, the couple gets a marriage license and is either married by a Justice of the Peace or married by a Minister (or whatever religious denomination they are) in a church. A couple can have a simple chapel wedding to a large wedding.

No. A priest will not marry you in any state without a marriage license.ClarificationA priest cannot marry a couple unless they have a valid marriage license from the state where they plan to be married. Marriage is a civil legal status in the United States of America. The couple must obtain a civil marriage license and clergy. along with many major and minor political officials, as well as any individual who applies for a permit in many states (for example- the mother of the groom).

Assuming you mean in the U.S.A., no, you are not married simply because you obtained a LISCENSE to marry. That just means that you CAN be married. You must take your marriage license and go to a person whom is legally allowed to perform a marriage in your state, such as a "Justice of the Peace", or an ordained minister, church, etc.

No they can only execute a marriage license. The state, through the county clerk, issues the marriage license.

In the eyes of the Roman Catholic church, possibly not. However, if you have a marriage license that has been duly signed and authorized, and you and the spouse have also signed it along with two witnesses, then you ARE married, church or no church. The church does not marry you - you marry each other ... it's in your vows "I take you (not the church) to be my lawfully wedded ... ... ". - yes you are as long as you were married in the catholic church by a priest and both you and your spouse promised to raise your children catholic and to fulfill the vows ^^^and the church makes the marriage valid, God was there he was present, all a marriage license is, is a piece of legal paper

AnswerIn most countries, civil weddings are alternatives to church weddings. So, a Catholic can be married in church without having had a civil wedding.

Whether or not a minor can be married is not usually defined by the Church but by the secular authorities. In some jurisdictions, a court may provide permission for such a marriage.

You have to get your previous marriage annulled before you get married in the church again. A divorce by law is not recognized by the church- the previous marriage has to be deemed "a non valid Christian marriage."

the Answer is NO.. first you go to pick up marriage paperwork from city hall or court house. when you got that marriage paperwork you have to attend the marriage Class to complete it. then the pastor will help you to setup an wedding once you got marry the pastor will sign the paper then you take to where you got paper from then they will give you an real marriage paper then your done. I hope this help.If you are getting married in a church; chapel or Justice of the Peace then you need a marriage license. Otherwise you can live together and it is called a 'common-law marriage' but no marriage license is needed.

NO, all weddings require a legal marriage license from the state.

Yes! Christians need to be married in a church because if you do not marry inside the church, marriage will be useless without God's blessings and graces.

If a Mormon couple is going to be married or "sealed" in the temple, they will need a valid legal marriage license (or a valid legal marriage certificate, if they have already been married) for the state or country where the temple is located. The laws vary from country to country, but the Church considers a 'sealing' to be a marriage and therefore will not perform the ceremony without legal consent to perform a marriage ceremony, or without official proof that the couple is already recognized as legally married. If you have questions on exactly what legal forms are necessary, call the temple and ask what the requirements are in your state or country. To participate in other services or ceremonies in the temple, you do not need to be married.

No never. A license for marriage doesn't expire. You could get a divorce, but then you would be only separated in man's eyes not God's eyes. If you get married, plan to live with that man/woman your whole life because if you divorce that one and marry another, you are committing the sin of adultery in God's eyes. Even in Jesus' day, there were divorces, and they were accepted by the church then. The Roman Catholic church requires a "tribunal" [like a court] to absolve you of your prior marriage so that you can re-marry another without being charged with adultery. The other Christian religions do not share this view ... in the Lutheran church, you can be married, divorced and re-married many times and you are NOT committing any sins nor adultery. In other words, you will not go straight to hell for getting re-married ... at the pearly gates on your day of reckoning, St. Peter will still allow your soul to enter heaven. If you have gotten a marriage license issued, you generally have a year to use that license (getting married). After that time has elapsed, and you have not yet been married, you have to re-apply for another marriage license.

You can arrange to have a religious ceremony to bless your marriage. Be prepared to show a copy of your marriage license and be sure to tell the cleric that you were already married in a civil ceremony.

Up until the fourth century, Christians did not get married in a church. The sacrament of marriage was considered the consummation of the marriage, not a particular religious ritual. Even then, change occurred slowly, as the Church began to encourage church weddings, but recognised and accepted marriages without a church wedding.

The Catholic Church possesses the authority to determine who, how and when Catholics can marry within the Church. Marriage is a sacrament governed by canon law and it is for life. To be recognized by the Catholic Church a couple must be married according to Church law. A Catholic who marries outside the Church commits a sin and the marriage is not recognized by the Church. That makes them unable to receive the other Church sacraments while they remain in the state of sin.It should be noted that in the United States marriage is a civil legal status and clergy, among many other minor and major officials including any person who obtains a one day permit, are allowed to solemnize the marriage or perform the ceremony. The couple must obtain a civil marriage license or the marriage is not valid. The officiant must sign the license and return it to the issuing civil authority. A marriage performed by a priest without a civil marriage license would not be recognized under civil law.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.