Liability Insurance
Debt Collection

Can you get your money back if you are falsely arrested?


User Avatar
Wiki User

No and yes. The city will not offer you your money back, however, you can sue the officer who mistakenly arrested you in small claims or civil court. The precedent-setting case is happening right now in San Francisco (11/2008) where judges threw out the claim against the city but have allowed the civil suit to proceed against the two officers who made the arrest.