Spark Plugs and Wires
Ford F-250
Ford Ranger XL
Home Electricity

Can you plug a 240V amplifier into a 120V outlet?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-09-17 00:51:00
2010-09-17 00:51:00

No, you can not plug a 240 volt amplifier into a 120 volt outlet. That said there are a number of step-up transformers available that will convert 110V to 220V - that's the simplest way to do it. You should make sure the transformer is rated at many times the power of your amplifier, because of inefficiencies in the amplifier.

Look on your amplifier to see how many amps it uses at 220V. Double that number for going to 110 and add 20% more amps as a conversion margin. Take that number and multiply it by 110 to get the watts you need to supply. Size the transformer accordingly.


5 amps @ 220V

5 amps * 2 = 10 amps

10*20% = 2 amps

Total amps = 12 amps

12 amps*110 = 1320 watts

In this example a transformer rated at or above the calculated wattage is recommended.


Related Questions

User Avatar

No you cannot plug a 100v into a 120v outlet, it will fry whatever the product you are plugging up.

User Avatar

Not only will it work, but it will last for much longer than if it was connected to 220volts!

User Avatar

If I understand your question, Can you run a 110 appliance off of a 220 volt outlet? You could by only using one leg of the 220. You may also consider changing the outlet. Put in a regular 110 outlet and capping off one leg of the 220 in the wall box. You still have a neutral and a ground to work with. I read this as the questioner doesn't want to modify the outlet. Check the voltage ratings on the device. Many electronic devices nowadays can havdle 120V or 240V as it is cheaper to manufacture one powersupply and sell it everywhere. If your device is rated for 240V, you can put a 240V plug on it. If it only says 120V, no dice. 240V will burn it up.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.