Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2011-09-13 01:12:40

In Most states child support is separate from custody. Even if the non custodial parent is not paying child support he / she can request to visitation. because the parent is in arears does not hinder him / her the right to visit the child. both visitation and support are doen separately. Uunless there was a divorce that stipulates the arangement.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions

It is my understanding that if the noncustodial parent is paying child support in the state of Mo. and the child decides to live on campus/away from custodial parent while attending college and noncustodial parent is paying % of college expenses that include room and board a modification/reduction in child support may be in order. However I would like to see a court case/opinion regarding this matter.

There are a couple of reasons why someone might still be paying child support in Pennsylvania after the child reaches his/her majority. The judge could have ordered the noncustodial parent to continue child support until the child reaches the age of 22 or is no longer enrolled in and attending higher educational classes. The noncustodial parent may not have paid the full amount of child support each month or may not have paid child support at all for some time before the child reached his/her majority. In that case, the noncustodial parent must continue paying child support until the arrears plus interest have been fully paid.

The biological parent is legally responsible for paying child support. A step parent is not legally responsible for paying child support.The biological parent is legally responsible for paying child support. A step parent is not legally responsible for paying child support.The biological parent is legally responsible for paying child support. A step parent is not legally responsible for paying child support.The biological parent is legally responsible for paying child support. A step parent is not legally responsible for paying child support.

I would like to add the noncustodial parent lives in North Carolina. The child is attending college in South Carolina. She is at the age of 18 years.

See Link BelowChild Support Age-At what age does child support stop and what steps need to be taken to bring this about?

In general, child support is based on a percentage of net income. Being a student doesn't exempt one from paying support, altho lack of income might.

A parent who pays child support cannot stop paying child support until the child turns 18. Also, the parent may stop paying child support with the court's permission.

The income difference between both parents are irrelevant when it is in reference to child support. There is, in most family courts, a calculation based on the total cost to raise a child. Most states can only take up to or about 10-20% of a persons income but that is just a baseline and other factors such as cost of living for the individual paying the child support can greatly affect the payout to the other parent.

In Florida, emancipation occurs automatically when you reach 18 years old or you are married. Or whatever your child support order says.

Child support normally begins during the process of divorce, not upon divorce. As for payment dates after divorce, the divorce decree (or associated paperwork) should say.

That's an interpretive item meant for a judge. At the minimum, the separated parent should file an emergency motion to modify custody of a child in need of care. You can never stop paying the support without the approval of the court. see link

If you live in the US... Giving birth does not emancipate a minor. So you are still responsible for paying child support until they turn 18 or they are emancipated in some way (ie marriage).

Everyone who is not the biological parent or adoptive parent.

The parent that is taking care of the child will get somewhat of a 'grant' from the Goverment, until the parent in jail is released, then he/she will have to continue paying the child support, or risk going to jail again.

No, and no can he, so there must be a greater issue related here as to the safety of the children. As for being in arrears, in this economy that comes as no shock as men do not know there is free legal help to avoid or reduce arrears from the government. That is what I teach them.

Yes to move without the child (I assume the other parent will take care of her) No to not paying child support. Moving to another state does not mean you are allowed to stop paying for your child. You are still obligated to pay for him/her until they are emancipated.

YES! I have been through this with my Ex_husband & he went to jail for Non-Payment! He is not excused from his Parental Responsibilities. #2 answ: Yeah, and he's doing such a fine job of paying for it from jail...

It might not seem logical that a noncustodial parent be required to pay child support for an adopted child, but laws vary widely from state to state. Your best bet is to find a good family law attorney.

It's best to file a motion for change of custody, but you can start by contacting child support enforcement to present evidence that the child is living with you, though you may need to wait until after school starts.

No of course not. If a parent moves to another state or country the child doesn't stop eating or needing things like clothes and a roof over their heads.

ill answer this with another question, should a parent loose rights that doesn't pay support in the first place.