Best Answer

Yes, but it is called as 'used tax'. "Use tax is generally imposed on the purchaser of tangible personal property that is used, consumed, or stored in this state. Sales of vehicles, vessels, and aircraft by licensed dealers are usually subject to sales tax, for which sales tax reimbursement is collected at the time of purchase. Use tax applies to the cost of vehicles, vessels, and aircraft purchased from non-dealers (for example, private parties) or from outside California for use in this state. Use tax also applies to most leases of tangible personal property. Private party sales or brokered transactions are normally subject to use tax. If the first use of the property occurs in California, use tax may apply even if the purchaser is not a resident of the state. The sales and use tax are "mutually exclusive," which means that either sales tax or use tax applies to a single transaction, but not both."

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2010-04-23 08:57:08
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Create a Study Guide

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Do i need to pay car sales tax in California buying from a private?
Write your answer...
Related questions

What tax do you pay when buying a car in California person to person?

There is generally not a sales tax on used items such as cars. However, the car would need to be re-registered, and a component of that is a vehicle tax.

Do I need an attorney when I am buying a house from a private seller?

While you do not need an attorney, it is best to have an agent represent you.

I'm a Oregon resident buying a car in California Do I owe California sales tax?

I just called the California DMV and asked this same question. To avoid the CA sales tax you need to either; 1. Flat bed the vehicle out of California and then register it in Oregon or 2. Have the dealer deliver it to you out of the state of California. (I'm thinking of having it delivered just across the border in Ashland.) Essentially, you can not operate the vehicle in California before it gets registered in Oregon. When I asked this question of auto dealerships they were totally confused. You will need to educate them . . . lol.

How do get divine horses on howrse?

SOme divine horses can not be sold but you occasionally see devines in the auctions and private sales. If buying from the auctions you need a few million e. There were a couple of devine horses that you could get from sending your reinder from the north pole, some people also got them from buying cards.

Do you need a hunting license to hunt on private land in California?


How do California calculate tax?

Need to specify property, income, state sales or. . . .

How do you access the private sales on Howrse?

You need to have at least 3 karma, and at least 2 howrses.

Is there anyway someone can give you equus on another howrse account?

You can receive equus from a friend if they buy a horse from you. Ideally this will need to be done through the private sales unless you wan to run the risk of losing the horse to another bidder in the auctions. To access private sales you will need 3 karma points.

When buying a vehicle from private seller do you need some type of receipt to show that you paid for the vehicle?

The title would be your receipt.

If I buy a car in Nevada from a private party do I need to pay sales tax we both live in California?

IN some states yes, the purchaser must pay a sales tax to the vehicle registration office. Call your local vehicle registration office and ask this question in your area. They will gladly tell you the answer, and if they do charge, ask them how they calculate the fee.

What would a Honda 125CB sell for?

need to know year miles and if it has title not sales receipt i am buying a 1980 cb250 with title for 200

In California do you need a liquor license to serve alcohol if you are not selling it.?

No. If in your private home. If in a public place (such as a bar) yes.

What do you need to look for when searching through used RV sales ads?

Buying a used RV is very much like buying a used car. You need to find one that will be a good size for your family, and that gets acceptable gas milage, has minimal wear and tear, etc.

What would a 259 dollar camera cost without sales tax?

Assuming the $259 price tag is with sales tax, we still couldn't answer the question - we'd need to know what the sales tax rate is where you're buying it/looking at it is. If it was, say, a 7% sales tax rate, then that would come out to $18.13 in sales tax, so the price without it would be $240.87.

Should Californian business owner charge a buyer from Chicago sales tax for an item that will be resold in Chicago and the buyer do not have a valid seller's permit?

If the sale is via the internet and the California seller has no Illinois location, then no, you don't need to charge Illinois sales tax. You'll need to consult California tax law to know whether to charge him California tax, but probably don't need to charge it either. If the sale is in person in California, then yes, you should charge him California sales tax. If the sale is via the phone you could probably get away with calling it an internet sale and skip the tax, although it depends more on California tax law than Illinois tax law.

You purchased a pickup truck on June 28 2007 in Oregon and used it there for 6 months and are now a California resident and need to transfer title to California Do you have to pay sales tax?

Probably not. You paid sales tax in Oregon when the car was purchased. When moving to California you didn't have to pay sales tax on all your other possessions, did you? You'll probably have to pay a tax on the car's value when registering it in CA. Probably not. You paid sales tax in Oregon when the car was purchased. When moving to California you didn't have to pay sales tax on all your other possessions, did you? You'll probably have to pay a tax on the car's value when registering it in CA.

Do I Really Need A Sales Agreement To Purchase A Building?

You should have a written sales agreement when buying real estate. The sales agreement should honestly spell out the cost, terms, and precisely what's covered and what is not included within the sale. The sales agreement is a legal report that offers you legal recourse if troubles should arise after the sale.

How can sales enablement support my sales initiative?

Sales enablement is a wider term. It is the process of providing y our sales organization with the content, and tools that help salessalespeople people sell more effectively. The core of sales enablement is to enable sales peopsalespeoplele with what they need to successfully engage the buyer throughout the buying process.

Do you have to pay dmv tax when purchasing a used car from a private party seller in California?

Yes, as a buyer in a private party vehicle sale, you will need to pay the use tax. Use tax is calculated based on the sales tax rate in your residence county. You can find more information on CA state vehicle registration at the following DMV.ORG - The Unofficial Guide to the DMV - page: Have a wonderful day, DMV.ORG Support

In what year did the transfer of firearms between private parties become illegal in California?

You need to go to the CADOJ web site. 1991.

What are the responsibilities of a Salesman?

There are no specific responsibilities available as such for sales representatives however, they may need to focus on becoming discrete and responsible on how they act and persuade their customers into buying products.

Is there a way to give passes to other players on howrse?

Yes there is a way. the two players both have to have private sales, you need 3 karma points to acess it.

Is it better to sell a used car to a private party or to a used car buying service?

Better is a relevant term. Private party sales can a be a disastrous headache with the amount of time you would spend dealing with a potential buyer. A used car buyer service would be the quickest way to dispose of the car but they will probable make an offer closer to or lower than the wholesale value. How quickly do you need to get rid of the car and how much time do you have available to spend trying to get rid of it would be the questions you need to answer.

Commercial Truck Sales?

form_title= Commercial Truck Sales form_header= Drive a commercial truck today. Why are you buying a commercial truck?*= _ [50] What is your budget?*= _ [50] How many trucks do you need?*= {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, More than 5}

Does Georgia require a license for owning a hunting rifle?

No they do not. However if you buy one from a dealer you will need to do standard federal paperwork registering it from you. Not required for private party sales.