Do you have to have a motorcycle license if your bike is less than 250 cc?

In the U.K and Channel Islands you can legally ride a motorbike that has an engine capacity of up to 250cc (but not above) without taking a full test. You must, however, complete a Compulsory Basic Training (C.B.T) course before you will be road legal. These courses are relatively innexpensive and fairly easy to pass for all but the most inept. To this writers knowledge, passing a C.B.T course entitles you to two years legal road use before you must either 1)re-take the C.B.T, or 2)Pass a full test.