Landlord-Tenant Issues
US Supreme Court

How can you take landlord to court?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-01-06 19:48:58
2010-01-06 19:48:58

If your state has housing courts, go there ad file a civil suit. If not, go to the local district or county court.


Related Questions

Depends where you are and the nature of the dispute.

This depends on whether the landlord has at least four properties for rent. Oftentimes you can take him to court yourself and win, or in the case of the latter you can file a complaint with HUD, who can then sue him on your behalf.

If you left the property in the same condition as when you moved in, the landlord has no right to keep your deposit. You can take him to small claims court.

Yes. If a landlord later determines that you damaged his property he can take you to court. A landlord is not required to assess damages under the deposit if they would prefer to return your deposit and sue you for more. The deposit laws are generally intended to avoid lawsuits from every landlord at the end of every tenancy.

Landlord has to take you to court to get you out and then it will take 30 days before you have to be out.

If you have a lease your landlord would have to take you to court to have you kicked out of the apartment. If you are a month to month tenant then the landlord can request that you vacate with 30 days notice.

Sure, but this would be done in normal civil court, not landlord-tenant court

I asked my other roommate about it and he said it was for my landlord, Meanwhile he refuses to take my rent money and he said why I didn't go to court.

Save the money in an escrow account and let the landlord take the tenant to court. This can be explained to the Judge

It is unseemly that a landlord can charge a tenant for other than the items listed in the lease. You can pay them and take your landlord to landlord-tenant court for reimbursement, or you can approach a landlord-tenant advocacy to find the answer that you want.

No. Taking a washer and/or dryer is stealing. To force your landlord to return your deposit you must take him to court.

Yes, the landlord is responsible. But keep in mind that this is not a landlord/tenant issue: it's a small claims issue. So this is heard in a small claims court inquired, not a landlord/tenant court.

If this helps any, a landlord is no different in terms of small claims or other civil court matter. If there are grounds to sue then you may do so. Check your state's Statute of Limitations laws to see how much time you have to sue a landlord or anyone else. Landlord and Tenant issues are only applicable to eviction proceedings, not small-claims court or other civil courts.

in a commercial eviction does the landlord need to apply to a court for an eviction notice?

Take him to court............. i just finished learning that in civics class

you can not with hold rent for any reason. write a letter to the landlord that is dated with the problem and if its not taken care of or addressed in 14 days then take the landlord to court.

There is no obligation for a landlord to take Section 8.

It depends on your rental agreement. It is likely that his concern is liability and if you get insurance to cover him in case the dog bites someone, you might avoid court.

Possibly, but you will want to have arranged for another place to live if you pursue this avenue of compensation.

A landlord could accuse you of anything, as can you accuse him. This matter is decided by court if necessary.

no you can't. you just have to go to the landlord and let them know whata's going on and then if they don't do anything about it take pictures and take them to court.

A landlord can evict for this reason. But for it to stand up in court, landlord has to prove that the accident was caused by the carelessness or negligence of the tenant.

If you have a judgment handed down by the courts against your ex landlord and you have then gotten an order from the court to seize a particular asset that the landlord has, then yes but only when you pay for the service. If you have a judgment handed down by the courts against your ex landlord and you have then gotten an order from the court to seize a particular asset that the landlord has, then yes but only when you pay for the service.

Take them to small claims court,You will get it back,unless damage or anything they have to repair due to neglect,etc

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.