Asked in Botulism
How deadly is botulism from a swelled can of food and is paralysis a symptom?
Asked in Botulism
Scientific name for botulism poisoning?
It is called "Botulism poisoning" and occurs due to an anaerobic bacterium, Clostridium botulinum. It can be deadly. It can occur in infants when exposed to the bacterium from disturbed soil or being fed honey at an early age. Adults get botulism poisoning from eating improperly cooked canned food or piercing their body with infected dirt ie. intravenous injections. People have died from botulism poisoning from improperly processed tetra packs of juice in Asia. The symptoms are varied but paralysis is common, leading to an inability to breathe. Medically, the botulism paralysis is used in Botox injections to smooth lines on the forehead or to help to relax the tight muscles (spasticity) of cerebral palsy victims.
Asked in Food & Cooking, Bacteria
Which bacteria cause a highly deadly foodborne illness?
Asked in Botulism
Botulism is caused by?
What organism is the most deadly cause of food borne illness in the US?
Asked in Soups and Stews
Why would a can of soup explode?
Canned goods can explode if exposed to extreme heat, or if they are dented and have even a pin-sized hole in them. The hole can cause air to come in, and can cause Botulism, a deadly paralytic toxin. You can't always tell if it contains Botulism, however, the key sign is to look for is a foamy liquid inside. Botulism can lead to respiratory failure.
Asked in Baking, Food Safety, Potatoes
If you wrap a baked potato in foil after it's cooked is is dangerous?
Yes, it can be dangerous to the point of being deadly. Potatoes naturally contain the spores of botulism. When shoked, ie heated, it can produce the deadly toxin. Wrapping the baked potato in foil creates the perfect enviroment for botulism to thrive. If serving in foil, wrap right before service and never ever cool the potato in the foil. Hope this helps. -Sous Chef Anthony
Asked in Refrigerators
How long can you keep brie in the refrigerator vacuum sealed?
Asked in Hedgehogs
How deadly is a hedgehog?
Hedgehogs are not deadly unless you purposly puncture yourself with one. When they poke you it usually doesnt do any damage but even if it did it would just be like a needle prick. If you are allergic to hedgehogs then maybe they can be deadly. If you notice your hedgehog is giving you allgerys such as runny nose, hives (or a mild case of them), itchy throat, water eyes, esc. then I would suggest getting rid of the hedgehog. If allergys get to bad your throught could get swelled and you would need to go to the Emergency room.
Asked in Pigs
How dangerous is deadly nightshade to pigs?
Nightshade is deadly to anything that eats it... The symptoms in pigs is acute bloody stool, salvation, trembling, drooling, paralysis and then coma and death. There is an anti-toxin that can be administered. The good news - pigs very rarely eat it as they know it's not good. A pasture with s e nightshade and lots of other forage and a steady supple of food will keep the pigs full and not interested in this deadly pasture find.
Asked in Cat Health, Animal Parasites, Ticks and Mites
Is tick paralysis deadly?
Potentially, yes. Tick paralysis is loss of muscle function from a tick bite, usually a female tick, and primarily affects children. The tick attaches to feed on blood and during feeding toxins enter the child's bloodstream. The child will develop an unsteady gait due to weakness in the lower extremities. This weakness will eventually make it's way up into the abdomen and upper extremities. Flu like symptoms can develop and there can be breathing difficulties. Finding the tick and removing it will remove the source of the toxins and recovery from tick paralysis is fast.