Deeds and Ownership

How do you get property in your name if spouse dies without a will?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-07-19 16:54:24

If the property is jointly owned by the married couple it

generally reverts automatically to the surviving spouse and does

not enter probate. If the married couple lived in a community

property state the property does not need to have both names on the

title for it revert to sole ownership by the surviving spouse. The

procedure for changing deeds/titles to real property is established

by state law. Contact the land recorder or assessor's office in the

city or county where the property is located.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.