How does a father get custody of his children if he was never married to the mother an the kids are twins and 1 month old?

The father would need to petition the court in the jurisdiction where custody was determined for a modification in the custody order, then be prepared to present a compelling case why it would be in the best interests of the children for him to assume custody. It would be in your best interests to have expert legal representation when challenging a custody order.