How long to wait after shocking pool?
After shocking a pool, a person should wait at least 24 hours before going into the pool. This allows the chemicals from the shocking treatment to evaporate, therefore, making it safe for your skin.
I'm not sure what you mean. If your qeustion is how long do you have to wait to swim after adding chlorine, it really depends. If you're adding chlorine to bring the level up to 2.0 or 3.0ppm, then wait minimum 1 hour before swimming, and be sure the filter is on. If you're shocking the pool and bringing the level up to 10-12ppm, you need to wait until the pool reaches a safe level…
wait until the chlorine level drops to 2.0-4.0 ppm. In some pools that could be up to 8 hours or 3or longer in others depending on the size of the pool and the usual chlorine demand of the pool If the pool is being shocked with a non-chlorine shock treatment swimmers may re-enter the water as soon as 15 minutes after shocking the pool.
Shocking is not useful response for a broken pool thermometer. Most pool thermometers are electronic sensors or bimetallic strips, which won't put anything into the pool if they break, or are based on colored alcohol, for which shocking will not do anything. If your broken thermometer used mercury (unlikely) it will settle to the bottom and into the drain traps. You need to get the mercury out of the drains.