If a lawyer has your charge off account and you've been paying on time do they have to update your information with the Credit Bureaus?

They are legally obligated to update your credit report when the account is paid off completely. In the meanwhile, if you have been denied credit because the balance is showing higher than it should be, can you request a copy of your credit report (and it will be free) and can dispute the balance. The offending company will have 30 days to answer your dispute or it will be removed from your record.