Police and Law Enforcement

If an police officier makes a mistake on a ticket can the charges be dropped in court due to officer error?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2008-10-18 13:17:04
2008-10-18 13:17:04

Not unless the error is such that you either can not understand what you are charged with doing wrong, or can not properly defend yourself.

User Avatar

Related Questions

In French, you say officer as officier.

It MIGHT depend on the mistake you are referring to, but usually NO, it doesn't make any difference. In the law these are referred to as "scriveners errors" and if enough of the information contained on the ticket is sufficient to prove that it was actually YOU that the officer was ticketing, then a wrong date, or a misspelling of a name will not do the trick.

Once an arrest has been made, the charges can be dropped only by the prosecutor's office. The police cannot withdraw the charge.

Je suis officier de police, je suis policier, je travaille comme officier de police.

The plural form is... 'officers in charge'.

No. The police officer is acting as an agent to enforce the laws of the State. The next officer or detective will handle it.

It depends on the magnitude of the error. If the officer forgets to dot an 'i', no. If the officer mis-identifies the perpetrator, probably.

6 months if you have told a officer in crime

Yes, press charges for stealing a pet ant i think ask a police officer

The arresting officer, but other charges can be added afterward by ranking officers, detectives, and etc.

yesIn most states if an officer is dispatched to a domestic call and there is evidence that an assault took place then they are required to make an arrest. The police do not press charges and neither does the spouse. The prosecutor presses charges.

One way to file assault charges in the state of Virginia is to have police officer come to your home. A person can also visit the local courthouse and press charges there.

Do you mean victim as in sexual? If so the ranking officer does it

You should meet with the police officer who was working your case. If he gave you a card, use that number. If not, call your local non-emergency police line and ask for the officer handling your case. You should confess that you filed a false report and he will drop the charges. This may be a difficult process, but it is important that you tell the truth. Battery charges can very seriously affect your boyfriend's future, including his career and his future love-life. I sincerely hope you follow through and I wish you luck.

yes. they must show documentation of what the charges are.

They have no legal athority to force anyone to press charges.

Probably to become an officer, but he didn't finish and dropped out.

Much the same. A case can be dropped by any person along the way. It may be dropped by the first officer, by a supervisor, or by someone in the prosecutor's office. A case is dismissed only after it has been filed and a dismissal is accepted by the judge.

If it is the probation officer's warrant then yes, but they probably will not. If it is the judge's warrant the probation officer cannot.

to get someone out of jail so that person could help the officer make arrests and file charges. or to a judge to get a search warrant

If the police were involved and they find that they have been deceived, I believe that this is in itself a criminal offense.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.