If the father is not married to the mother can the father take the child?

The father has not established his parental rights. An unmarried mother has legal custody of her child. Since the parents are not married the father needs to establish his paternity in court in order to gain his parental rights legally. Once established he should consult with an attorney who specializes in custody issues who can review his situation and explain his rights and options under the laws in the jurisdiction. According to the details the child has not been in a stable environment since birth. An attorney can help the father plead his case before the court.