Best Answer

Most building codes require engineering on structural issues that do not meet the definition of CONVENTIONAL DESIGN. I suggest that you get an engineer to evaluate the structure before you make any modifications. You may also need to obtain a local building permit.

If you have a pole supporting a room don't just rip it out!!!!!

You will have to check to see which way the ceiling joists run, and then install either a flush beam or an exposed beam that spans from wall to wall perpendicular to the ceiling joists. it is important that the load transfer to the foundation, so you will need to open the walls where the beam will sit and pack the them with 2X4's studs (from the top plate down to the sill plate) also make sure that the point load is carried to the foundation below (squash blocks). Good luck but call a Licensed Carpenter to assist you.

If there's a "pole", I can only assume there must be a beam already. My guess is that the beam is not large enough to clear span the distance. Contact an engineer to decide the sufficient size beam upgrade.


If cost is going to be a factor I suggest not doing it at all. However, if you wish to save a bit of money on the design hire a draftsman. They are cheaper and usually have an engineer check their work. We did this on our home. But depending on where your beam is its going to be rather large to replace with a self supporting one.

Our beam spans 27 feet and is 9 inches wide by 18 inches deep...29 feet long.


The most cost effective way to remedy this may be to field modify your roof framing into a truss system by securing cross-members along the rafters and ceiling joists with bolts and fastening plates. It still has to be designed by an architect or engineer. I've found it's often easier to install a number of small, light pieces inside the ceiling than a large, heavy, visible beam below it.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2015-01-06 04:52:28
This answer is:
User Avatar

More Answers

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2016-09-29 02:08:53

In most instances I would recommend hiring an engineer to do the job of figuring out what you would need to support the roof. Through experience of working on open floor design I used in the past a 4x8x25 beam to support such a large area. You would also need someone that understand Simpson caps and foundation support. My recommendation is that you first hire a contractor and he'll bring together the engineer to make sure it's done right. If you ever need help you can call me at 888 221 6663.

User Avatar

Add your answer:

Earn +5 pts
Q: If there is a support pole in the middle of a large 20x25 foot room and you want it removed what is the best way to support the roof?
Write your answer...

Related Questions

Plenty of good farmland in the area to support large colony?

the middle colonies for sure. how come you didn't know that?

Where is water absorbed or removed from the intestine?

Water is removed in the large intestine.

What is removed from the undigested foods when it is in the large intestine?

large amount of waste

What nuts can be removed without the use of a wrench?

Toilet seat securing nuts often have large ears and can be removed with only a large screwdriver.

Did Thomas Jefferson support large government?

he did not support large government he supported the common man and state rights.

What is Removed from the undigested food in the large intestine?


What happens if the entire large intestine is removed?


What is removed from the undigested food when it is in the large intestine?


Where is water removed and solids stored?

large intestine

How your body is affected if your large intestine were removed?

Most likely painful death. It depends on how they are removed and for how long.

What is the homographs of a large animal of a animal that support or carry?

Bear & Bare

Where would an explosive volcano most likely occur?

In the middle of a large plate of earth

Do birds reliy on small or large sternums?

Large! To support large flight muscles!

Roger Williams is known for his support of?

he was known for his support of large marge

What is the large area in the middle of Australia?

the out back and right in the middle is Uluru

What best describes food when it reaches the large intestine?

Most of the nutrients have been removed. it dumps into the large intestines as a soupy mess. Fluids are pulled back out of the large intestines, and goes to the kidneys, as the large intestines begins the work of consolidating the waste into a solid form.

What happens to the alcohol in the large intestines?

it is removed from the body as wastes

What waste is removed from the body by the large intestines?

Poo my friend

What waste is removed from the body via the large intestine?


Did Andrew Jackson support large government subsidies to bolster manufacturing?

yes he did indeed support a large government because bhe was a federalist

What happens to food when it reaches the large intestine?

Most of the nutrients have been removed.

Does it hurt to have a mole removed?

I had a large mole removed on my neck by my gp and it did not hurt one bit he injected it first which numbed it then removed it and then put a stitch in it job done.

What would be the consequences if your large intestine was surigical removed?

If your large intestine was surgically removed, you might need a colostomy bag. This is a bag that goes from your small intestine (in this circumstance) to the bag, to remove feces.

What size screen will this mounting device support?

This Peerless mounting kit will support a Large to extra large screen with a maximum weight of 350 pounds.

What is removed in a radical mastectomy?

The breast, muscles under the breast, and all of the lymph nodes are removed. This produces a large scar and severe disability to the arm nearest the removed breast.