Best Answer

Obtain legal counsel as soon as possible. If you cannot afford private counsel request the court to appoint you a public defender at the arraignment. In such a case it is not advisable to use self-representation without being fully informed of your legal rights and the consequences to entering into an agreement with the state or entering a plea to the court.

Note to this: when approached by officer(s) say "I'm more than willing to co-operate but I feel more comfortable with it being arranged through my attorney" Say nothing else until explained to an attorney and let he/she speak on your behalf

violations depend on charges filed

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2008-02-22 03:03:19
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Who was the third President of the United States

What are the restrictive powers

Which amendment set the minimum age for voting in a national election

What is the length of a presidential term

See all cards
5 Reviews

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: If you just received a suspended sentence for theft and are on probation what do you do when new charges are filed?
Write your answer...
Still have questions?
magnify glass
Related questions

If you have 10 years suspended sentence and you violate probation with a domestic violence do you serve the whole 10 years?

If the complaintant wishes to press charges than yes.

If you violated probation when you were 17 at what point will you be clear of the violation charges?

When your probation sentence ends.

My 16 year old son is charged with grand larceny this is his first offense what is going to happen to him?

He will have a set period of probation which is called a suspended sentence. If he completes his probation without getting in more trouble or getting a violation of probation then the charges will be dropped at the end of the probation period.

What if probation is broken when it was for a burglary charge?

I have committed a burglary on probation and got revoked and payed with my original sentence and the new sentence charges.

In FL can violation of probation charges be brought after probation period expires if the terms of probation aren't completed?

Yes, of course. If you never completed the terms of your probation, then it hasn't 'ended.' You must fulfill ALL the terms of your probation to the satisfaction of the court before you are released from your sentence.

You received a felony on your record and it was suspended and you have three years probation How long will this be on your record?

Unless the offense was committed prior to your 18th birthday your adult record will always reflect your felony charge. Even though you might not have actually served jail time, probation IS a sentence after being found guilty. If you had been found not guilty or the charges were dismissed you would not have had to serve 3 years. Probation is not a "get out of jail free" card. I know that pretty hard core but some how you can. ADDED: See discussion page:

What will happen if you are on probation with 2 other charges and get charged with possession with heroin?

I'd say that it is HIGHLY likely that you'll have your probation revoked and remanded to jail to serve the remainder of your sentence.

How long can they keep you in detention centers if you have no charges and you only had a probation violation?

Probation is a sentence for being found guilty of a crime. So - therefore - you WERE found guilty of something. You are being held because you violated your sentence of probation which caused it to be revoked and converted to a jail term. You can remain in detention until the term of your sentence is completed.

What are the consequences of a probation violation resulting from the probationer being charged with committing numerous criminal offenses?

The specific results of the new charges cannot be assessed or even speculated upon, that will be determined by the outcome of the trial and if the person is convicted by the sentencing guidelines relating to the criminal acts. The probationer will, however, serve the entire sentence that was imposed and suspended in lieu of she or he being placed on probation. It would be a safe bet to say that said person will be given a lengthy prison sentence if convicted on all charges.

What happens if you are on probation and you get charged with 2nd degree burglary?

Then you're in violation of your probation. If you'd been released before you sentence was complete, you'll be required to serve out the remainder of your sentence, on top of whatever time you're sentenced on the burglary charges.

What happens if you gave one dirty urine test on supervised probation?

Your probation can be revoked and you could be required to serve the remainder of your sentence. Depending on the substance detected, you could face further charges.

What if you are arrested on other charges while serving a suspended imposition of sentence?

The other sentence is likely to be invoked, and you may be charged as an habitual offender on the second charge.

People also asked