Child Support
Custody Documents

If your child is 17 months old and she has been living with you her father for 13 months can you get sole custody?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-16 18:30:23

Has the child's mother exercised visitation? If so, I would

strongly discourage you from trying to get sole custody -- unless

it is in the best interest of the child. If the mother is doing

drugs or putting the child at risk in some other way, then it will

not be hard to obtain full custody if you can prove that she is

unfit. If she has taken no interest in the child in 13 months, it

shouldn't be difficult to obtain sole custody either. However, if

the mother cares and wants to see her child and does not put the

child at definite risk, then obtaining sole custody won't only hurt

the mother, but the child will suffer for the rest of her life. It

is extremely important to have a bond with your mother if that is

at all possible - otherwise you deal with feelings of rejection,

insecurity, low self-esteem, and unworthiness...this I know because

my dad took me away from my mom when I was just 8 years old and to

this day my mother and I don't have a real close relationship -

which as created some real problems in my life. Hope that helps

you. And please don't take this the wrong way - if your child is at

risk with her mother, you need to take action for at the very least

supervised visitation. Take care and good luck.

The answer given by the previous poster is a very good one. You

probably would be able to get sole custody. However, unless the

mother is adjudicated as unfit (and perhaps not even then) she

would not be denied visitation rights. Unless she was willing to

relinquish all of her parental rights and obligations. She could be

required to pay child support just as a father could be. The

emotional aspects IMO are as important as the legal ones.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.