Asked in
Business & Finance
Divorce and Marriage Law
Child Support

If your name is partner of a business but you do not draw a wage are you still liable to pay child support from the business income?


User Avatar
Wiki User
November 25, 2008 9:25AM

If the court says that you must pay child support in the United States, it does not matter whether you are drawing a wage - you are liable for the child support payments. If your employment status changes, you might be able to petition the court to change the amount of the child support payments. If child support has not yet been determined and you have never received any remuneration from the business, you might be able to prevent the business income from being used to determine child support, although if you start receiving a wage, child support might be recomputed based upon it. An important issue is why you do not draw a wage despite being listed as a partner. It will depend on numerous factors and it would be best to get legal consultation.