Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2009-05-08 21:30:40

If your vehicle was parked you should not need to pay ANY deductible. If you were not found resonsible for the collision your expenses should be entirely paid by the at-fault driver. If necessary, you may need to take the other driver to small claims court.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Still Have Questions?

Related Questions

If your car is vandalized who pays for the damage?

The vandal if the can be found and sued. Otherwise your insurance if you have full coverage. You will pay a deductible and recover the deductible if the vandal is ever found and successfully sued by your insurance carrier.

What should you do if the person that hit you didn't have insurance?

The first thing to do is contact the police and get a police report. Because the person that hit you has no insurance, you need to report the accident to your insurance company. Your policy should have uninsured coverage and that coverage would cover you for medical and liability if you are injured. You would need to go under your policy to have your car fixed and pay your deductible. Your insurance company will then litigate for all moneys spent and try to recover from the uninsured party. They will also try to recover your deductible. Each state is different and you will need to discuss with your insurance agent.

What do you do if the driver who hit you does not agree to contact their insurance company?

If you have their driver's license number or the license plate number from their car, you can call the Division of Motor Vehicles for your state to obtain insurance information. From there, follow that company's procedure for reporting a claim. You could report the loss to your own insurance carrier and even make a claim if you think the damages exceed your deductible. Your insurance company would then contact the insurance carrier for the other party and make a claim to recover any amounts they had paid you, including your deductible. This is called subrogation.

How can you recover from an uninsured motorist?

If you have uninsured motorist coverage let your insurance company settle with you then recover from the motorist in court. If you don't you will have to take the motorist to court yourself. Your insurance company is far better equipped for this than you are.

Who pays your deductible if the other person is at fault in Michigan no fault auto?

No fault insurance refers to injuries, not property damage. Being in a no fault state simply means that your injuries are payed for by your own insurance company regardless of who is at fault in an accident. Fault is still assigned for the purpose of determining who is responsible for property damage. It is always the at-fault party's responsibility for pay for the damage they cause to you. If you are going to have the damage for your car payed for under your collision coverage then you will have to initially pay for your deductible, unless you have broad-form collision. If you do pay your deductible then your insurance company will sue the at-fault party to recover the money that they payed to repair your car, as well as your deductible for you. This process is called subrogation.

Will your insurance company pay you a diminished value if accident is your fault?

No, if it is your fault you are not eligible to received diminished value from your insurance company. It has to be a third party claim, ie the party at fault's insurance company pays the damages if you can recover them.

If a garbage truck hit your parked car do you go through insurance or go to the town hall and what insurance will cover that?

If you have collision coverage on your vehicle, the damage is covered under your policy. Your insurance company will then attempt to recover ("subrogate") the responsible parties insurance carrier....or the responsible party directly if they were not covered by insurance. If you do not carry collision coverage on the damaged vehicle, your only avenue of recovery is through the responsible parties insurance carrier or, the responsible party directly if they were not insured.

What happens if the driver has no car insurance and they cause the accident?

It depends. Many insurance companies will have you pay your deductible, then they will attempt to collect the money from the other driver personally. (This is what happened to me when my car was struck, in Massachusetts where insurance is required, by an uninsured motorist from New Hampshire, where auto coverage is optional.) It took about six months, but my company did eventually recover the money and I was reimbursed.

Do you have to reimburse the insurance company for leaving grease unattended on your stove at your apartment?

Possibly. The insurance company has reimbursed your landlord for his loss, and may indeed be within their rights to attempt to recover that from you as the one responsible. You're not their customer, your lanlord is, and anything they can recover from you will reduce the premiums they charge their customers.Unless the insurance company in question is the renter's, because he had rental insurance. In that case, the renter would be the insurance company's customer. As to whether the insurance company would cover a grease fire, the renter would have to consult his/her policy.

What if you were in a car accident and it was not your fault but you had no collision?

If the police report says the other driver was at fault, try to recover from his or her insurance company. If you don't have collision coverage, you can't collect from your insurance company.

If you are the victim of a hit and run accident how do you recover the deductible from your repairs?

Since you don't know who hit you, then you can't recover.

Do you have to receive your stolen vehicle from the insurance company?

Generally speaking:If they have already made a settlement and recoverthe vehicle later, you may have the option of returning the settlement and taking the car back.If they recover the vehicle before settlement is made, you have to accept the car. They are not required to make a cash settlement.If the car was damaged by the thief, they would have to settle for the difference in value (less your deductible).

What happens if insurance replaces stolen items then the police recover and return the stolen items to you?

I recommend you contact your insurance company, and inform them of the recovered goods

What if you are injured as a passenger in a car with no insurance?

If the driver of the car you were in was at fault and had no insurance you are out of luck. your only recourse if to sue the person who you were driving with to recover damages. If your driver was not at fault but had no insurance the other parties insurance would have to cover your damages. The lesson is not to ride with people who do not carry auto insurance, ever.

Does the actual cost of the material have to be what the insurance company estimates to recover the depreciation?

No. The Insurance company determines the amount whether depreciated or otherwise they will pay based on the policy you purchased. If your able to find it cheaper, that's no problem.

If a motorcycle rider in WA has no insurance and he rear ends a car can uninsured motorist coverage take care of the car and does the insurance company come after the rider to get the money back?

You got it! If you've got uninsured motorists property damage, then your company will pay for the damage to your vehicle caused by the uninsured motorcycle operator. You may have a small detuctible, $200-$300, and the the insurance company will sue the at-fault party to recover both the money they spent and your deductible, this process is called subrogation. The process works the same if you don't have the uninsured motorists property damage coverage but do have collision.

Where do you file a claim to sue for deductible from a car accident involving a car with no insurance with no insurance?

If I understand your question you are trying to recover a deductible you incurred due to the fault of the other driver who was uninsured? If this is the case it may depend on the state in which you live and what coverage you may or may not carry. If you are from CA, we have what is called UMCDW or uninsured motorist collision deductible waiver, which if you were carrying this type coverage as part of your auto policy, it would pay your deductible if your vehicle were hit by an at fault, identifiable uninsured driver. If you do not have similar coverage on your policy or in your state, you may simply have to file a claim in small claims court to recover your deductible and good luck. In many cases if you are dealing with an uninsured driver, even if you win judgement you still have to be able to collect it...sometimes the hardest part! In the future you may want to consider a product called CDRP which is a Collision Deductible Reserve Plan to insure your deductible is always available for you when you need to use it. It is a very wise financial move that can not only save you hundreds if not thousands on your car insurance premiums but would give you peace of mind knowing your deductible is always there when you need it! You can learn more about this incredible product at .

If your insurance has agreed to a settlement but you feel the dollar amount is not enough can you refuse the settlement?

You may want to try and sue the party first, if you except what the insurance company offers you then that is an admission of satisfaction on your part. NO! Once you accept payment from YOUR insurance company (technically, once you cash the check), you surrender any right to persue the matter against the responsible party any further. Your acceptance of the insurnce company's pay out legally assigns your right to recover further back to the insurance company. If the settlement is large enough, many insurance companies will go after the responsible party to recover what they paid out to you (in insurance lingo, this is called "subrogation"). Make sure you are happy with what the insurance company is offering before finalizing things.

If my insurance company paid for repairs to my car can I still sue the other driver?

No, you can't. When you made you claim under your auto policy for damages done by another party, you signed your subrogation rights over to your insurance company. This is what allows them to recover costs that they paid to fix your car. This is done to assist you in getting your car fixed quickly. You have given your rights to sue the other party to your insurance company. They will get the funds paid back from the other parties insurance or from them directly if he didn't have insurance. You could not sue anyway as you no longer have an economic loss since the car has been fixed; the court would see you as being put back right.

If you are involved in an accident with a person who has no insurance and they are at fault does your insurance pay for repairs to your vehicle?

Only if you have Uninsured or Under-insured motorists coverage. If so, your insurance company will pay the damages and will legally pursue the other party to recover the funds.

If a vehicle is stolen and is only covered by PLPD will the insurance company pay for the loss?

You must have comprehensive coverage in order to recover on a claim from your insurance company if your vehicle is stolen. Liability only is just that, liability for your legal liability for damage or injuries to others.

Law of integration?

A Waiver of Subrogation clause on a commercial certificate of insurance, with respect to General Liability coverage waives the insurance company's right to sue the other party's insurance company to recover any damages and/or costs related to a claim.

What is no fault auto insurance?

In any state where no-fault auto insurance is required by law, you recover the cost of damage to your auto and to its occupants from your own insurance company. There is no need to prove who was at fault in the accident. For example, if two cars crash each other, each goes to its own insurance company to be reimbursed for the physical damage and medical costs which result.

3 car accident car was pushed in to me by speeding driver who has no insurance will middle car who was pushed into me insurance cover repairs to my car?

If you have collision coverage on your policy insist that your insurance company pay to repair your car, subject to your deductible. This will guarantee a couple of things: 1. The repairs are done quickly. 2. Most insurance companies will guarantee the repairs for the life of the vehicle. So if something goes wrong down the road, you'll be able to deal with your own company. 3. Your insurance company will seek to recover their payout as well as your deductible through a process called subrogation. If you do not have collision coverage then you can ask the middle car (the one immediately behind you) to pay for the damage. Technically this car was stopped too close to you and had they given more distance they would not have hit you. If neither of these solutions work, then you should obtain an attorney and sue the speeder. Any time you are not at fault in a car accident you should definitely seek out legal counsel. The primary reason you purchase insurance is to protect you from financial catastrophe when you are at fault. Car insurance is really not designed for you when you are not at fault.

If your daughter's friend hit her car and claims he has no insurance is there any way to find out if he is really uninsured without a police report?

The best way to handle this is to file a claim with your own insurance company, assuming you have first party coverages on this vehicle. Your insurance company will pay for your damages, less your deductible, and will then subrogate your daughter's friend; subrogate means to recover the damages paid by your carrier. If the friend or his/her parents claim to have no insurance (in response to the letter your insurance carrier will send them), then your insurance carrier will ask them to reimburse the damages paid for your claim, to include rental reimbursement if you have that coverage and to include your deductible. ADDITIONALLY, your insurance carrier can check online to see if this family or individual does indeed have current auto liability coverage. However, it is a database that is not available to the public and a valid claim has to exist for a claim adjuster to run a check on an individual. Generally this is available only for reports/claims of Bodily Injury, but I have in the past, on a hunch, used it to determine the carrier of individuals involved with insureds whose claim was in my caseload.

Still have questions?