Best Answer

That might depend on the cause of the injury and the type of injury. If the car was not moving when the injury occured (slam your hand in the door) then Medical Payments coverage would apply and not PIP. If the injury was a result of an accident then Medical Payments wouldn't come in to play. The exception might be in the case of a death in which Medical Payments coverage can apply to funeral expenses. Laws and policies will vary by state.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2005-10-16 22:27:08
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides
See all Study Guides
Create a Study Guide

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: In the event of a claim would medical payments or personal injury protection cover the loss first?
Write your answer...
Related questions

What is Medical payments or personal injury protection?

It depends on your policy and your deductible.

What type of insurance is the same as medical coverage?

In auto insurance, personal injury protection coverage is the same as medical coverage.

What does personal injury protection mean?

Personal Injury protection, Also referred to as PIP, is first party medical coverage on your Auto Insurance Policy for injury sustained in an auto accident.

Why would it be a good idea to have medical payments insurance on your auto insurance?

Medical payments coverage generally pays a portion of medical expenses incurred as a result of a collision and resulting injuries. Similar to Personal Injury Protection coverage, it pays expenses without regard to fault for the collision. It can fill in some of the gaps of coverage that may occur in Personal Injury Protection coverage, such as a high deductible. It may also be triggered when all of the benefits of Personal Injury Protection coverage are used, and pay additional medical expenses incurred. This coverage has nothing to do with physical damage to the vehicle. It pays benefits only for medical expenses incurred from the collision.

What kind of coverage does Hartford Car Insurance offer?

Hartford Car Insurance offers a wide range of coverage including: The usual Collision, Comprehensive, Glass, Towing & Labor, and Rental. It also offers: Bodily Injury Protection, Property Damage Liability, Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury and Property Damage, Underinsured Motorists, Personal Injury Protection, Medical Payments

What does PIP stands for?

personal injury protection

What kind of car insurances are there?

There are seven types of car insurance available. There is liability, collision, comprehensive, uninsured motorist protection, medical/personal injury protection, no fault, and gap insurance.

Can child support payments be deducted from personal injury awards?


Can you decline Personal Injury Protection Insurance in New Jersey if your health insurance company pays medical expenses from an auto accident?

Call and ask your agent

How many types of insurance are there?

PIP is personal injury protection. It will help you with medical bills and lost wages in the event of an accident, even if it's not automotive related.

What is PIP car insurance in Pennsylvania?

PIP is Personal Injury Protection. It pays for your medical bills if you are ever injured in an accident. In Pennsylvania, it is mandatory you have PIP coverage.

Will homeowners policy cover relatives personal injury?

barring any policy exclusions (intentional acts, etc)- yes, it would. So long as you have a traditional type policy that includes personal liability and medical payments.

Can a driver with points get pip insurance in Ohio?

Ok, Personal Injury Protection, (PIP), is the name of the coverage which pays for your injuries after a car accident, it is something we sign up for when we start our car insurance policies. In order to figure out if you have Personal Injury Protection, start with a call to your insurance company. They can tell you in this first call if you have medical coverage for your injuries.

In civil law cases involving personal injury are called what?

They are called just that: personal injury lawsuits. Within the field of personal injury there are a number of different types of cases such as medical malpractice or wrongful death, but these cases still fall under the personal injury law umbrella and would be taken on by a personal injury lawyer. The article below answers the question "What is personal injury?."

Is it possible to insure yourself?

Yes it is. If you are talking about auto coverage, you would be covered under comprehensive, collision, personal injury protection, and medical clauses if you so choose.

How many types of car insurance are there?

PIP is personal injury protection. It will help you with medical bills and lost wages in the event of an accident, even if it's not automotive related.

What does Penn National Insurance have to offer?

Penn National Insurance offers auto insurance. They offer increased coverage for any bodily or physical injury and medical payment. They also offer personal injury protection options.

Set PIP Levels Low For Discount Auto Insurance Policies?

Personal injury protection or PIP can be a very important type of car insurance, but it isn't right for every driver. As PIP provides for the medical costs of drivers and their passengers in an accident, there are several types of individuals who won't get much use out of this policy. If you have a good medical insurance plan and you rarely carry passengers for any reason, it may be unwise to buy a large amount of personal injury protection. Raise your personal injury protection deductibles or scale back your coverage limits to pay less for your auto insurance policy.

What is PIP insurance?

It is an acronym for Personal Injury Protection Insurance, or PIP insurance.

Where can I get personal injury protection car insurance from in Virginia?

In Virginia, extended personal injury protection car insurance can be purchased from many companies. Most of the common and popularly used companies include: Geico, Allstate, Farmer's, and Progressive.

What type of car insurance does GMAC offer?

GMAC offers car insurance which covers liability for body injury, liability for damage to property, car collision, medical expenses, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and personal injury protection.

Car insurancethat pays for you injuries when you are in an accident in you car is?

Injury to you and your passengers is covered under Medical Payments.

Is collision covered by personal injury protection car insurance?

In most cases, personal injury policies are not the same as collision insurance. You should check with your insurance provider to see if you are covered.

What is statute of limitations on medical malpractice in Illinois?

Medical malpractice is a personal injury. In Illinois it has a limit of 2 years. There may be some tolling based on discovery of the injury.

What is the statute of limitiations for medical malpractice in Maryland?

Medical malpractice is a personal injury. In Maryland it has a limit of 5 years. There may be some tolling based on discovery of the injury.