Divorce Documents

Is your divorce still legal if your lawyer put Jr instead of Sr on your divorce papers?

User Avatar
Wiki User
February 05, 2009 3:44AM

Yes, a simple mistake in wording does not change the validity of the legal document. You and your husband will be divorced, but 3d parties such as social security, insurance beneficiary contracts, retirement, and the like will not recognize Sr's authorization on legal documents stating Jr's name. A motion nunc pro tunc ("now for then") is to be filed by Sr to correct the decree. It opens up no legal issues, and it is merely ministerial and used for mistakes such as this one.