Children and the Law
Child Support

What age can child shoose custodial parent?

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2007-09-26 23:19:04

A child has to be at least 12 years old to choose a custodial parent.

User Avatar

Your Answer

Related Questions

In Louisiana at what age can a child opt out of visitation with the non-custodial parent?

It depends on the age of the child what kind of room would be appropriate for the child to and be near the parent ( custodial or non-custodial) to monitor. If you don't have a adequate area for a child..why are you a parent.

The child already lives with the custodial parent.In the child wants to live with the non custodial parent that parent must petition for a modification of the custody order. The "best interests of the child" is considered by the judge. The court will hear what the child has to say, if the child is old enough to reason, but will not necessarily do what the child asks.At age eighteen the child can make their own decision.

A minor child may not choose to live with the non-custodial parent. The non-custodial parent can go to court to have the custody order modified, but the only age at which a child is free to choose which parent they want to live with is the one at which they're no longer a minor.

A child can be of any age to stay overnight with a non-custodial parent. Unless there is a danger to the child which prevented a non-custodial parent from having any sort of access, the court order should have provided for visitation arrangements.

No, child support is a debt owed to the custodial parent, and not to the child. Depending on the state, a court might order the non-custodial parent to pay back child support to the custodial parent. However, it will never be paid to the child, regardless of age.

This will depend on many factors. If you already have a court order, then you will want to have it changed, in addition, it will depend on why the non-custodial parent has not contacted the child, and even the age of the child.

Not usually, but there are some cases in which you might. 1. Some states require the non-custodial parent to continue to pay child support if the child hasn't graduated high school and is still living with the custodial parent. 2. If the child is disabled, there is no cut off age for ending child support. The non-custodial parent will continue to owe child support for as long as the disabled child lives with the custodial parent.

When that child turns 18, he or she can choose to live with the noncustodial parent.

See Link Below'Child Refusing To Visit Other Parent?'

As long as you are a minor you are not allowed to choose.

As long as you are a minor you are not allowed to choose.

If you referring to child support, then no. Child support is due to the custodial parent, not the child.

1) the [formerly] non-custodial parent gains legal custody; 2) the child dies, is adopted, reaches age of majority or emancipates

Depends on your state. And then, usually the custodial parent is eligible to sue, not the actual child.

If you're in the US, the child can decide at 18. Until then if the non-custodial parent has a visitation order that must be followed. If there is a legitimate reason why the child does not want to visit, then the custodial parent needs to go to court and request that the visitation order be changed.

See Link Below'Child Refusing To Visit Other Parent?'

Copyright ยฉ 2021 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.