What are the 30 rules in forming plural nouns?
A plural noun is a word for two or more people, places, or things. Here are some rules to make singular nouns into plural nouns:
- To make most nouns plural, add an s or es to the end of the word. These are called regular plurals (or regular nouns). Example: the plural of neighbor is neighbors, the plural of flower is flowers.
- Nouns ending in s, z, ch, sh, or x, add es to the end of the word to make it plural. The plural of dish is dishes.
- Some nouns ending with o are pluralized by adding and es to the end of the word. The plural of tomato is tomatoes.
- Most nouns ending with o are pluralized by adding s to the end of the word. The plural of photo is photos.
- Nouns that form their plural in some other way are called irregular plural (or irregular nouns). Example: the plural of child is children, the plural of foot is feet.
- When a noun ends in a y, change the y at the end of the word to an ies. The plural of berry is berries.
- Some nouns ending with y, preceded by a vowel, are pluralized by just adding s to the end of the word. The plural of day is days.
- Nouns ending with f or fe, change to f or the fe to ves to form the plural. The plural of life is lives.
- Nouns ending with ff are usually pluralized by just adding an s to the end of the word. The plural of cuff is cuffs.
- Some nouns change the vowel sound to become plural. The plural of man is men, the plural of tooth is teeth.
- Some Old English plurals are still in use. The plural of child is children, the plural of ox is oxen.
- Some nouns that end with is, the ending is changed to es to form the plural. The plural of crisis is crises.
- Some nouns that end with um, the um is replaced with an a. The plural for datum is data, the plural for medium is media.
- Some nouns that end with on, the on is replaced with an a. The plural of phenomenon is phenomena.
- Some nouns that end is a, change the a at the end of the word to ae. The plural of larva is larvae.
- Some nouns that end in ex or ix, the plural is formed by changing the x to ces. The plural of index is indeces, the plural of matrix is matrices.
- Some nouns that end in us, the plural is formed by changing the us to i. The plural of cactus is cacti, the plural of radius is radii.
- Nouns ending in eau, the plural is formed by adding x to the end of the word. The plural of bureau is bureaux.
- There are any number of other variations such as the plural of tempo is tempi; the plural of cherub is cherubim; the plural of person is people. But language evolves over time or we would still be speaking like Shakespeare.
- Even as I type these rules, some are officially amended. For example, the plural forms indeces and indexes are both being accepted as correct plurals for index and the plural forms; bureaux and bureaus are both being accepted as correct plurals for bureau, as are many other irregular plurals being found in standard dictionaries with modernized plural options.
A plural noun is a word for two or more people, places, or things. Here are some rules to make singular nouns into plural nouns: To make most nouns plural, add an s or es to the end of the word. These are called regular plurals (or regular nouns). Example: the plural of neighbor is neighbors, the plural of flower is flowers. Nouns that form their plural in some other way are called irregular plural…
You first have to learn the complex and lengthy rules of Latin grammar, since Latin is a language strictly governed by rules. Every noun is either feminine, masculine or neuter and its ending changes according to how it is being used grammatically in a sentence; there are five sets of possible endings (called declensions), each applicable to specific nouns. Within each declension there are 6 singular and 6 plural endings called nominative, vocative, accusative, genitive…
Regular nouns are nouns that are made plural by simply adding -s or -es to the end of the word. Irregular nouns are nouns that form their plural in some other way. Examples of regular nouns are: apple : apples boy : boys carrot : carrots dog : dogs egg : eggs flower : flowers grape : grapes house : houses inch : inches jewel : jewels knee : knees lamb : lambs melon…
The plural of 30 is 30s or 30's. It is the same whether it refers to years or ages (or other measurements, such as degrees of temperature). Sometimes it is better to spell it out as a word: "She is in her thirties." When it refers to the 1930s but you are not including the 19, you should add an apostrophe before the 3: The Great Depression of the '30s. It does not matter whether…
"Rules Of Subject Verb Agreement" 1. Use verbs that agree with a subject, not with a noun that is part of a modifying phrase or clause between verb and subject: "The pot of eggs is boiling on the stove." 2. Use singular or plural verbs that agree with the subject, not with the complement of the subject: "My favorite type of movie is comedies," but "Comedies are my favorite type of movie." 3. Use singular…
What are the nouns in the sentence Babies have only four settings crying sleeping eating and wide eyed silence all of which are fun to watch for about 30 seconds?
Words that have no plural are called mass nouns or non-count nouns. Some examples are fruit, juice, coffee, advice, time, furniture, luggage, information. The above answer is slightly incorrect. Advice, time, furniture, luggage, and information are examples of 'non-count nouns' because the same word is used in reference to one or many of the particular item. I need advice regarding the use of nouns. I have received lots of advice. I only found one piece…
It is equally close to both. If you are expected to round, the usual convention is to round up (to 30) in such cases - although sometimes other rules are used as well. It is equally close to both. If you are expected to round, the usual convention is to round up (to 30) in such cases - although sometimes other rules are used as well. It is equally close to both. If you are…
The same as in regular court. You have to look up the Rules of Federal Proceedure regarding Motions and the Bankruptcy Courts local Rules. Those rules tell how to file a motion and what to include. Some times you can search the Court forms and find a sample motion. Motions are required to have 28 to 30 days notice. Basically write it up, include a declaration and proof of service and call the Judges clerk…
there are many different rules that apply when becoming a senator of the us but i really don't know them there are many different rules that apply when becoming a senator of the us but i really don't know them Fippsandrea's answer: The Qualification for a Senator are the following; 30 YEARS OR OLDER 9 year citizen of the United States Be a Resident of the state you are elected fron
1 uno, un (niño, señor, muchacho; not used with feminine nouns) 2 dos 3 tres 4 cuatro 5 cinco 6 seis siete ocho nueve diez 11 once doce trece catorce quince dieciséis diecisiete dieciocho diecinueve 20 veinte *21 veintiuno, veintiún (señores, muchachas, casas, libros, jóvenes; used before nouns, either masculine or feminine) veintidós veintitrés veinticuatro veinticinco veintiséis veintisiete veintiocho veintinueve 30 treinta 31 treinta y uno, treinta y un (same as "veintiún") * This same…
In a question like this, the number after the word "of" goes on the bottom (denominator) and the number after "is" goes on top (numerator), forming a fraction. Divide the top number by the bottom number, as 51 divided by 170=.30. That equals 30 percent when you multiply .30 by 100 and move the decimal point two places to the right (one place for each zero in 100.)