Asked in Email and IM
What are the different components of an email?
June 08, 2015 3:45PM
The two main components of an email are the header section and the email body.
The email headers contain information about the email such as:
- the senders identification
- actual source of the email (they can be different)
- Where the email goes if you reply to the email
- recipient of the email
- who else the email is supposed to get the email
- what program was used to send the email
- what service was used to bring the email into the internet
- The route the email took to get to the destination (it could involve many places)
- Some information about the contents in the email body
- Security information about the sender of the email to help determine if he sender is who it says it is, the senders reputation as a valid email source or if the identifying has been faked.
The body of the email contains the message itself. It can be text, word document, or look like a web page with images and links. If can also have files of various types attached (embedded) into the body.