What are the steps involved in recycling aluminum?
- Recycle used aluminum cans (collect and send to recycling center)
- cans are cleaned, crushed and made into bales
- bales are sent to aluminum plant
- cans are shredded, remelted with new metal and cast into ingots
- the ingots are rolled out to make aluminum sheets
- rolls of sheets are shipped to can plants
- new aluminum cans are made
- cans are shipped to drink manufacturers
- transportion of filled cans to retailers
- cans are sold to customers.
Recycling aluminum requires only 5% of the energy and produces
only 5% of the CO2 emissions as compared with primary production
and reduces the waste going to landfill.